4 replies to this topic

#1 jennyroberts

jennyroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I am interested to know how much support is given to HODs in producing data from sims.
I have had no training, I dont really know how to use excel. But am expected to produce data for the dept. For example how cohorts have performed over the last three years, how different groups, FSM, SEN ect. perform in each year group. I think we are supposed to work this out for ourselves or by Osmosis.

I am always willing to try but how do I know if what I am producing means anything.
In a previous life I worked in marketing and was used to understanding data, but not configuring it.

We have some one at school called the data manager, but they are too busy to produce anything for Hods.
I would be interested to know what happens in your school? :unsure:

#2 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

I assume you are still employed under normal school terms and conditions (i.e. working in a state school or were at the Academy (etc) before it became an Academy and so were TUPE'd over from the old system...)

The teachers' pay and conditions document is very clear: Managing the data in school management systems is one of the tasks not to be expected of a teacher (includes HoD).

You should be aware of how these groups are doing, I can see that, but the data from which you are to glean such matters is to be provided by the school.

Copy available hereSee Annexe 3 p125-6.

you should respond something along the lines of "if you give me the data, I'll give you the answers."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#3 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

At my school, I get data at the start of the year and after every report etc. It's quite easy from there to maintain some record using excel ourselves.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#4 jennyroberts

jennyroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Do you mean p3 professional skills? As it says use data not configure data the data manager should do it?

Maybe Ill forward to the union rep.Thanks :)

#5 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Do you mean p3 professional skills? As it says use data not configure data the data manager should do it?

Maybe Ill forward to the union rep.Thanks :)

The relevant bit of the text says:

Administration
63.12 Participating in administrative and organisational tasks, including the direction or supervision of persons providing support for the teachers in the school does not require a teacher routinely to undertake tasks of a clerical or administrative nature which do not call for the exercise of a teacher’s professional skills and judgment.
63.13 Without prejudice to the generality of sub-paragraph 12, Annex 3 contains a list of tasks falling within the scope of that paragraph.

And in Annexe 3 you will find the bit about 'systems' like SIMS. I'd hope rep should already be conversant with such matters, but we all miss things and forget things occasionally!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users