• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm part of a group reviewing our school reports - the feeling among staff is that we're writing too much given that we now report half termly on progress toward target, and students have targets in their planner for all subjects.

Would you have 2 minutes to answer a couple of quick questions about what happens in your school? I'd be much obliged!

#2 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm part of a group reviewing our school reports - the feeling among staff is that we're writing too much given that we now report half termly on progress toward target, and students have targets in their planner for all subjects.

Would you have 2 minutes to answer a couple of quick questions about what happens in your school? I'd be much obliged!

Sadly - put off by the use of 'right' as opposed to 'write' in your survey. Sorry.

#3 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Congratulations!!!

You win our star prize for spotting the deliberate mistake! :woo:

ahem

(Fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out! )

#4 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Congratulations!!!

You win our star prize for spotting the deliberate mistake! :woo:

ahem

(Fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out! )

And if one were to get picky, your questions requiring quantitative responses might start with "0" rather than "1"...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#5 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

This is true, although I think I assumed that people just wouldn't click anything if they didn't do a particular thing. Several other respondents have made the same point though.

Live, and as they say, learn!

#6 Jan.D

Jan.D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

I can't believe that you have to do reports every half-term - what a nightmare!

#7 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

It's really not that bad - we score each pupil on a 123 basis (1 = above target / 2= on target / 3 = on target).

We've got away from big 'Key Assessments' that are levelled. We use professional judgement across all students work to estimate their likely level at the end of the KS and keep a note of that as we mark. It's pretty easy to note those student whose scores have moved up or down and filling in the marksheet takes about as long as filling in a register.

More importantly it means that we get a sense that the data we're putting in actually has a purpose as it gets fed through to form tutors for mentoring. Much better than simply feeding made-up sub levels into a computer, never to be seen again or acted upon.

#8 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

It's really not that bad - we score each pupil on a 123 basis (1 = above target / 2= on target / 3 = on target).

We've got away from big 'Key Assessments' that are levelled. We use professional judgement across all students work to estimate their likely level at the end of the KS and keep a note of that as we mark. It's pretty easy to note those student whose scores have moved up or down and filling in the marksheet takes about as long as filling in a register.

More importantly it means that we get a sense that the data we're putting in actually has a purpose as it gets fed through to form tutors for mentoring. Much better than simply feeding made-up sub levels into a computer, never to be seen again or acted upon.

Now responded :D but agree with comment re so many formal reports per year. Do you ever get time to do the ..... What's it called .... 'teaching thing!!' :D

#9 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Sorry? The what?

Nope - you'll need to give me a clue ;0)

To be fair, that's why we're looking at reports at the moment. The full, formal report is a massive drain on our time, and we're not sure we're getting the best return on that, given the other changes that have been made over the last few years to the way we communicate with students and parents. Reducing them will hopefully free up more time to focus on the teaching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users