• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Dorr

Alan Dorr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

We're just about to start a new unit on Henry VIII: Authority, Nation and Religion, 1509-40. Was just wondering whether anyone had any appropriately in depth resources that they're happy to share or point me in the direction of. It's the first time we're running the AS course and it would be good to see how other centres run the course. I have resources on Anglo-Saxon/Norman England and the Wars of the Roses (both AS) to trade.

Cheers!

Alan

#2 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

You are probably already aware, but Russel Tarr's ActiveHistory.co.uk is well worth subscribing to for this period.

Edited by David Bryant, 03 March 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#3 Alan Dorr

Alan Dorr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thanks! Unfortunately we're not yet signed up as a department, but I'll see if I can persuade my subject leader. Thanks for guiding me in the right direction!

You are probably already aware, but Russel Tarr's ActiveHistory.co.uk is well worth subscribing to for this period.

#4 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thank you; obviously not fully functioning as I forgot to mention John Guy's very useful website Tudors.org which has some excellent articles for A-Level students, as well as links to primary sources. Although the Edexcel textbook is aimed specifically for this course, the Hodder textbook;

The Early Tudors: England 1485-1558 (SHP Advanced History Core Texts), by Ellsmore, Hudson and Rogerson

has lots of good material. David Starkey's videos are well worth a look, especially as they explain the importance of original sources.

#5 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I don't teach this Unit as we do AQA but it is similar. Tudor.org is good. Also have a look at s-cool.org.uk. No idea who runs this and it's a rubbish name but a useful site. Perhaps good for weaker A level students.

BBc History magazine website has a series of podcasts. i just happen to be lsiten to one as I read your post. http://www.historyex...om/podcast-page Scroll down to 22nd July 2011.

Also, BBC Radio - http://www.bbc.co.uk...series/ioth/all scroll down and theres one on The Fields of the Cloth of Gold.

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#6 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

And this.... http://www.historyex...diobooks/tudors

30 minutes one each of the Tudor monarchs.

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#7 Alan Dorr

Alan Dorr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Many thanks to you both! The Edexcel textbook looks fairly thorough, but the websites and podcasts you suggest will be of great use. TES also has some valuable resources. I'll look into getting the Hodder textbook.

Cheers!

And this.... http://www.historyex...diobooks/tudors

30 minutes one each of the Tudor monarchs.

#8 nickcook

nickcook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Hi,

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but there are some excellent activities in the following text book: The Early Tudors: England 1485-1558 (SHP Advanced History Core Texts)should be available easily. I only ever taught this for one year but i'm happy to send you what I have in terms of resourceds if you pm me. Oh and its also worth getting the David Starkey TV programmes if you haven't already. Its a great topic I do miss teaching it.

Hope that's of some use

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users