Photo
- - - - -

SHP or Modern World for linear examination?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 milkybar

milkybar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just wondering which exam board and specification people think is best for the new linear gcse in terms of accessibility for low ability students?

#2 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks

• Admin
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Sorry but I think your question might be a wee bit early as quite a few boards still haven't released full details of their new courses/ changes to existing courses. I'm doing the Edexcel course online on Thursday so can pass comment then.
There is a light and it never goes out.
Go pray in my church!
http://www.nufc.com

#3 milkybar

milkybar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

A bit early maybe, depends how much change is afoot. Still a bit of speculation can't hurt!

I think SHP and OCR might be the best option, due to the way the paper has been structured so far.

Still all bets are off if they do change the specs hugely beyond the current structures. I would be interested in others opinions, it might be worth sharing developments as we uncover them here?

Edited by milkybar, 05 March 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#4 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

I would be interested in others opinions, it might be worth sharing developments as we uncover them here?

good idea
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#5 stephanie

stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

Excellent idea!

@_miss_moss_

#6 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hello

This is the latest on the changes from Edexcel

GCSE2012 reforms

Ofqual has already confirmed the following changes to all GCSEs in England:

All GCSE assessment will be linear in structure, so that examinations are taken at the end of the course. There will no longer be an opportunity to resit units.

Examinations will only be available in the summer series, except for retake opportunities for English, English Language and Mathematics.

Additional marks will be awarded for spelling, punctuation and grammar (SPaG) for GCSEs in English Literature, Geography, History and Religious Studies.

What does this mean for you and your students?

1. A reduction in the number of GCSE examination series

For awards made from summer 2014 onwards:

candidates will have to take all GCSE assessments at the end of the course

the GCSE examination series will be restricted to May/June, except for English, English Language and Mathematics, which will offer retake opportunities in November.

2. Additional marks for spelling, punctuation and grammar (SPaG)

Additional marks for SPaG will be awarded for GCSEs in English Literature, Geography, History and Religious Studies. The changes affect written and externally assessed units available from January 2013.

Marks will be allocated to individual questions and students will be informed which questions include marks for SPaG.

3. No change to controlled assessment*

There are no proposed changes to controlled assessment content.*

Schools may continue to schedule controlled assessments at their discretion, as far as this is permitted by the specification. However, controlled assessments can only be submitted at the end of the course.

Controlled assessment unit results may be carried forward if a student wishes to retake the whole qualification.

Please note that you will need to make sure that you are using the correct task for the end-of-course submission date.

*This is based on our draft specifications submitted to Ofqual and will be subject to change in the final accredited qualification.

4. Minimal change to our specifications

We have no plans to change the subject content of our specifications as a result of the GCSE2012 reforms announced by Ofqual. The GCSE reforms will affect the way external assessment is taken rather than changing actual external assessments.*

*This is based on our draft specifications submitted to Ofqual and will be subject to change in the final accredited qualification.

Important update: Ofqual announcement on ‘tightening’ of GCSE History specifications

In January 2012, Ofqual announced that they would be carrying out a review of all GCSE History specifications to ensure that they meet all of the regulatory requirements.

At the end of February 2012, they announced that they want to ‘tighten GCSEs in key subjects to make sure students cover the whole curriculum.’

This will affect GCSE History for first teaching from September 2013.

We can't, at this stage, confirm exactly what changes may be required. However, we will keep you informed about the latest developments as they arise.

Best Regards

Mark Battye
History Subject Advisor
Edexcel

#7 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

3. No change to controlled assessment*

There are no proposed changes to controlled assessment content.*

Schools may continue to schedule controlled assessments at their discretion, as far as this is permitted by the specification. However, controlled assessments can only be submitted at the end of the course.

Controlled assessment unit results may be carried forward if a student wishes to retake the whole qualification.

Please note that you will need to make sure that you are using the correct task for the end-of-course submission date.

Surely though Mark if the questions are time limited for only 1 year then schools will HAVE to complete their CA in Y11 under a linear assessment model? Will there be changes made to the time limits for each question to last for two years instead of one?
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#8 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hello

Our tasks are valid for 2 years to allow centres to do the write-up in year 10 and submit the task in year 11.

Best Regards

Mark

#9 tsward

tsward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Interesting discussion. I am currently in the process of looking at Edexcel's resources for SHP, and have been very impressed. We would look to do Crime and Punishment, Nazi Germany, and Impact of War.

However, it would cost us a lot to switch, and Ofqual's review is troubling. Do you think there is any danger at all that SHP might be removed as a specification or substantially changed? Michael Gove is not exactly a fan of it.

Would be awful to spend out a load on new resources, only to find they swiftly become obsolete.

#10 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hello

There's no danger of SHP being removed as part of the 2013 reforms - it's just that we might have to change the SHP specification (but we don't yet know how it will have to change, or indeed if it will need to change - that depends on discussions with Ofqual). You're right though that Michael Gove is not an SHP fan (judging by his comments at a conference I attended last year where he was very critical about the type of History students study) and if there are further, more substantial GCSE reforms in 2-3 years time I do worry that it may be at risk.

Best Regards

Mark

#11 tsward

tsward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Mark - thanks so much for your really helpful response.

We currently offer Modern World with AQA, and have decided to move to Edexcel. Your team have been very supportive.

Given the expense of switching to SHP (it would take us three years to pay for the switch as we are a tiny school and small department) and the danger of (substantial?) changes to SHP down the line, would you think it is safer to remain with Modern World?

I know it's my decision, but as a one man band, it would be great to have the benefit of your advice.

#12 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hello

We are running some free face to face events which will discuss the impact of linear and SPAG, and will also be useful if you are considering switching specifications:

http://community.ede.../20/t/4742.aspx

You may want to wait until we know more about what changes will be required in 2013 though before making a desicion to swap specifications but that is your decision.

Best Regards

Mark

#13 Lauren Conway

Lauren Conway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hello

We are running some free face to face events which will discuss the impact of linear and SPAG, and will also be useful if you are considering switching specifications:

http://community.ede.../20/t/4742.aspx

You may want to wait until we know more about what changes will be required in 2013 though before making a desicion to swap specifications but that is your decision.

Best Regards

Mark

If we are considering switching specs and would like advice, would it make sense to attend the training for the other spec or the training for our current spec?

Wanted to check before I booked my place!

Thanks

#14 Pauntley

Pauntley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hello

If you mean you are considering switching from eg MW to SHP then attend the training for the spec you are thinking of switching to. You can always watch the online version for your current spec which will be uploaded onto our website over Easter. The face to face events will be more in depth and therefore more useful if you are thinking of switching specifications.

Best Regards

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users