5 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Slight

Ben Slight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hi,

I have just started teaching at an all-boys non-selective school. We are in a selective area, and this does affect the intake we get. Results at GCSE History are low, and have been for several years. Following a review of the History department, we have decided to trial a new exam board for the forthcoming academic year (switching from Edexcel SHP (topics: Transformation of British Society, Crime and Punishment, Transformation of Surgery)). As a result, I will be starting out with OCR B course when our timetable 'rolls over' in June.

The school have decided that the Year 10 cohort I will get (about 20 boys, mixed ability) will get 6 hours a week of lessons. The intention will be to complete the GCSE in one year (not my decision Posted Image)

The suggested structure of the GCSE course is as follows:

Unit 1: International Relations 1919-39 & Germany Depth Study
Unit 2: British Depth Study: 1939-75
Controlled Assessment: Iraq War

I've had a look through these pages and, think, I've got most things sorted before I start teaching.

However, any advice on the following would be appreciated:

1) Delivering the course effectively in a year
2) A suitable question for the Controlled Assessment on the Iraq War (this is what I am really struggling with at the moment!)

I hope to get on an OCR Training Course ASAP.

If I don't get this right, there is a strong chance that History could disappear as a GCSE option at KS4.

Thanks

Edited by Ben Slight, 11 March 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#2 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Well Ben, no pressure there then... :(

There are loads of MW depts on here, and I"m sure many will be along to help.

We teach MW Int rel 1919-39 and USA depth study. The students respond really well to the USA stuff - I've never taught the Germany stuff, but I suspect there's more light and shade in our course than in that one (I'm willing to be corrected if anyone disagrees). We're totally SOWed up and have lots of materials we could share with you if you need them.

We do the other half of the Britain course, but I"m sure that there's others on here who could help out with that.

6 hours a week in one year is, frankly, going to be a bit of a squeeze. You're going to have to be quite clear about what it is you want the students to learn each lesson - and that means, I would think, doing quite a bit of copying / printing of notes, so that students highlight, use them as basis of answers etc, rather than have them sitting and making notes. I'd also get them out of their chairs where you can doing stuff that will help them remember the big picture so that you can help them recall the details using revision and lots of exam practice.

If you give up struggling over Iraq, we have a SOW and resources for a controlled assessment on Mandela and the end of Apartheid.

best of luck

Ed.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#3 welshie

welshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hi Ed,

I wonder if I could cheeekily ask for a copy of your SOW? we are following the same course but do Germany in-depth, which I am considering swapping??

Thanks

:flowers:

Well Ben, no pressure there then... :(

There are loads of MW depts on here, and I"m sure many will be along to help.

We teach MW Int rel 1919-39 and USA depth study. The students respond really well to the USA stuff - I've never taught the Germany stuff, but I suspect there's more light and shade in our course than in that one (I'm willing to be corrected if anyone disagrees). We're totally SOWed up and have lots of materials we could share with you if you need them.

We do the other half of the Britain course, but I"m sure that there's others on here who could help out with that.

6 hours a week in one year is, frankly, going to be a bit of a squeeze. You're going to have to be quite clear about what it is you want the students to learn each lesson - and that means, I would think, doing quite a bit of copying / printing of notes, so that students highlight, use them as basis of answers etc, rather than have them sitting and making notes. I'd also get them out of their chairs where you can doing stuff that will help them remember the big picture so that you can help them recall the details using revision and lots of exam practice.

If you give up struggling over Iraq, we have a SOW and resources for a controlled assessment on Mandela and the end of Apartheid.

best of luck

Ed.

#4 Ben Slight

Ben Slight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Ed!

I looked at the USA. Personally, I like the topic and would consider teaching it. My logic for Nazi Germany was that it links neatly with the 1919-1939 international relations unit. As we are teaching it in a year, the first paper becomes one large unit rather than 2 separate ones.

However, I have been told that the school has tried the USA 1919-45 option when we used to follow modern world. I was urged to avoid the USA as the results were not good and the students found it a bit 'dry' and were put off by the politics. If you've got any resources that could overcome that problem, I would be extremely greatful...

The Hitler option could easily become the CA. No offence, but our kids would really, really struggle with South Africa.

I am open to any suggestions on this...

Bottom line: if I don't get it right - bye, bye GCSE History (whatever option/spec/units)

Edited by Ben Slight, 12 March 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#5 Jayne

Jayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I teach The War on Terror for the OCR Modern World B Controlled Assessment. The question changes each year, and is available on OCR Interchange from June for the following academic year. The question is written with X and Y factors and you have to put in your own X & Y. This year the question was Why has X become a serious issue for Y in the last 20 years (or something like that). My questions then became Why has Al-Qaeda become a serious issue to the West in the last 20 years.

If you need any help on the Iraq War I have some bits that might interest you, although as my focus is more on the Rise of Al-Qaeda it's quite narrow

#6 Ben Slight

Ben Slight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

I teach The War on Terror for the OCR Modern World B Controlled Assessment. The question changes each year, and is available on OCR Interchange from June for the following academic year. The question is written with X and Y factors and you have to put in your own X & Y. This year the question was Why has X become a serious issue for Y in the last 20 years (or something like that). My questions then became Why has Al-Qaeda become a serious issue to the West in the last 20 years.

If you need any help on the Iraq War I have some bits that might interest you, although as my focus is more on the Rise of Al-Qaeda it's quite narrow

Hi Jayne...

If you are willing to share anything you have on the Iraq War/Rise of Al-Qaeda, it would be most appreciated... To be honest, I was looking at the Controlled Assessment to cover either of those topics (they are the most popular with the boys taking the course next year)

How long do you spend on the Controlled Assessment? I'm still finding my feet with this at the moment, so would appreciate any help.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users