12 replies to this topic

#1 vmo24

vmo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hi all,

I took a position in a year and half ago Humanities deptwhereby the previous history teacher had left the curriculum in a disastersituation. In Ks3 we rotate 8 90minute lessons with RE and Geography.

I’m currently rewriting the curriculum, including all thelessons too! Im finding it a really struggled to interrelate content with theskills! We only have 8 lessons to teach each unit it so I find it really difficult where there is such scope!

So far my curriculum outline is below:

Y7

Unit 1 – Battle of Hastings

Unit 2 – Medieval Life

Unit 3 – Kings and Queens

Unit 4 – Industrial Britain

Y8

Unit 5 – World War 1

Unit 6 – Interpretations of Haig and the Battle of theSomme

Unit 7 – Holocaust

Unit 8 – Days that shook the world.

I am pleased with the outline of the curriculum and thereare elements which are great.

However I really struggled with the integrations ofskills, it has never been my ‘strong’ point but I want tobe more clear in my aim so if the dreaded OFSTED came I could be clear on theunit’s aim / overall skill.

Hence why I am hoping for some advice off someestablished History teachers.

Unit 4 – Is Historical Enquiry, using physical evidence.

Unit 6 – Interpretations

However the rest just looks at content / knowledge andunderstanding. Any advice or tips? Anyideas of overall big key question which tackles a skill too?

Look forward to reading all your advice.

Thanks!

#2 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Well this is experimental as we are still in the process of creating it however...

We are currently rebuilding our KS3 taking second order concepts into account from the start. We are therefore basing our KS3 on big enquiry questions which work towards addressing a core second order concept. Have all the units up to Easter in full, however have only attached 2 here to give you a flavour.Have a look - please feel free to drop me a line if you want to discuss further. Sure many other people will have some great advice for you.

Alex

Attached Files

Twitter: @apf102 @AndAllThatWeb
Web: www.andallthat.co.uk
Web: andallthatweb.wordpress.com

#3 stephanie

stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Wow - that powerpoint is fantatic! :D

@_miss_moss_

#4 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Ditto on the ppt Alex

#5 vmo24

vmo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Can I just say a HUGE thank you - this is excately what I was looking for and more!

I love this forum!

#6 Anne Piper

Anne Piper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Amazing! The whole department are in awe of you! :flowers:
Let no one think of me as humble or weak or passive ...

#7 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Glad it is of some use. Should point out that this has been very much a whole department effort from the outset, from deciding or rationale to planning the units. Have ppts for most which I can share (somehow) if people would like. Might check out a drop box option. Will need to get permission for some of the units mind. Think the most useful place to start is probably deciding what history needs to do in your school then doing some reading around the core concepts. Obviously teaching history is great for this, but if you want something a little simpler, try here http://historicalthinking.ca/ .

You might also like to have a look at buys I have posted on historydept.posterous.com hgsks3.weebly.com or hgsgcse.weebly.com

#8 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Although written a number of years ago, this is still worth a look: Into the key stage 3 history garden: choosing and planting your history questions
- Michael Riley Into the key stage 3 history garden: choosing and planting your history questions
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#9 John Perkins

John Perkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Funny. Was looking through an old copy of that yesterday having just read this bit of the forum.

#10 arthur hull

arthur hull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

The article you mention is superb. A great one to use with PGCE students also as they start to think about planning in the medium-term for progression.

Just wanted to congratulate Alex on his work so far, we made radical changes 3 years ago to our KS3 along similar lines. Attached file shows key questions with concepts on next slide which underpin the topic.Attached File  new matrix of ks3.ppt   231K   434 downloads

The best change is to see Year Eight and Nine students engaging with Medieval history still! I always hated the way that this tricky but wonderful period of history seemed to finish in the Summer Term of Year 7.

If anyone wondered if a thematic approach works, please ask the Year 8 student yesterday who enquired if it was possible to draw out the similarities between Magna Carta and the American Declaration of Independance without any prompt from me...

#11 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Agreed, a top article. Beginning to drop box our ks3, pm me an email if you want access.

Alex

#12 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

This topic has been really helpful for me. I have inherited quite a poor curriculum in my new school and I need to make some changes. This thread has provided me with some excellent examples and starting points.

I was hanging fire, for the time being, until Gove's jury is out but I think this has inspired me to make some interim changes.

I wish I had something to share in return but in the absence of anything more useful I thought I would share this audit ticklist that I put together to check that I was delivering the statutory requirements;

Attached Files

#13 vmo24

vmo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hello,

I found this forum such a great help and have been able to get in mind clear what I want to acheive! I'm attaching a scheme of a work as a way of a BIG thank you!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users