Chouan

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Dear all,
here's an interesting one to ponder.
Last September I went to my first AS History lesson, all ready for a new intake (I was expecting about 8) of Y12s, only to be told by my colleague, No.2 in the Dept that he'd just been told by a Y12 that History AS had been cancelled. I found the Head of 6th Form who confirmed that it tyrue. I let my feelings be known.
Yesterday I was asked by a Y11 student who was looking forward to A Level History (parents' evening for Y11 was 3 weeks ago) why I hadn't told her that A Level History wasn't going to run this coming academic year. My colleague with whom I share A Level teaching was asked a similar question by another student. It seems that by not running A Level History, enough teaching hours can be saved such that the school won't have to employ a part-time History teacher in September.
How does one describe such a management style?

#2 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Dear all,
here's an interesting one to ponder.
Last September I went to my first AS History lesson, all ready for a new intake (I was expecting about 8) of Y12s, only to be told by my colleague, No.2 in the Dept that he'd just been told by a Y12 that History AS had been cancelled. I found the Head of 6th Form who confirmed that it tyrue. I let my feelings be known.
Yesterday I was asked by a Y11 student who was looking forward to A Level History (parents' evening for Y11 was 3 weeks ago) why I hadn't told her that A Level History wasn't going to run this coming academic year. My colleague with whom I share A Level teaching was asked a similar question by another student. It seems that by not running A Level History, enough teaching hours can be saved such that the school won't have to employ a part-time History teacher in September.
How does one describe such a management style?

Shocked!

As this had already happened last September is your HoD not told by the timetablers what the next academic TT is?
Were the Year 11 teachers not aware and if so why did they not raise this with the HoD?
Was there access to the Year 12 choice form? We (teachers) are quite often the last to know but in our school for the academic year 2012-2013 it has been decided to let an A Level lapse to let redeployment of a teacher enable a voluntary redundancy, our SMT have striven to protect the staff and this has meant a certain lack of info, the AS parent information evening were told this BUT the teacher involved had been brought in and the problem was discussed on more than one occasion to ensure the process was clear .I

Our finances are influenced by the numbers studying AS and ALevel. The point would be the more students at that level, the more money for the school thereby enabling employment of part time members of staff.

However current economic problems are causing redundancies, are you in a comprehensive school or college?
Would that affect the finances?

I am amazed your SMT didn't give some info !
Goldwick

#3 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Would recommend you get protest going among students (student voice?)

Also get brochures etc from local colleges that do offer history and pass them to interested Yr 11 (pshe/careers interests of your students). Ask in meetings what happens when enough students go elsewhere to make VI form no longer viable.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#4 Chouan

Chouan

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

I am the HoD, so the fact that I found out from students made the situation even worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users