• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 j.r.harris

j.r.harris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

The Faculties is building a library of free, short films of UK university lecturers speaking on topics directly from the A-level/IB curriculum. This is a stretch and challenge resource intended to help students excel in their assessments, to inspire deeper learning and smooth the transition from school to university. In addition to the films, there are also resources to help students choose a university programme and think about the careers that might follow their degree. The site was launched two months ago and we have already had more than 120,000 page views from over 28,000 unique users. 90% of teachers who have accessed the site say they will use the videos in their teaching.

We now have approximately 360 podcasts across our six websites, with over 80 hours of content. The History site (www.theHistoryFaculty.org) is our largest and most popular site. But please don't keep it to yourselves. Please share the resources with colleagues teaching the disciplines below:

Dr. James Harris
University of Leeds

Project Manager,
The Faculties
Twitter: @thefaculties

www.theFaculties.org

www.theHistoryFaculty.org
www.theMathsFaculty.org
www.theEnglishFaculty.org
www.thePsychologyFaculty.org
www.theChemistryFaculty.org
www.theBiologyFaculty.org

What teachers and students are saying about us:

“I’ve emailed all of our staff and our sixth form about your site… Thanks for such a brilliant resource.”

“I think the podcasts are really good and have been telling my students about them as an extra resource which they can access, especially the students wanting to go on to study the subject further at university.”

“I [am] interested in preparing the students for a different style of teaching. They are not used to being in lectures but most of them will be learning through this method when they go to university next year. They enjoyed the highly academic approach. It made a change for them to learn from someone other than me! We watched the whole video then discussed some of the issues raised ... They were interested in the content of the podcast and excited to find that they understood the issues raised. During the podcast, I had asked the students to make notes about the most important areas of debate. They had not done this before but they did it well. The notes they wrote up showed that they had learnt a lot.”

“These are a great idea and a brilliant resource.”
“ I find the way it is done new and refreshing and different and I have learnt from the podcast and it has given me ideas as well.”

The Faculties has been made possible by a grant from JISC (part of the Higher Education Funding Council for England)

Edited by j.r.harris, 22 March 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#2 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I stumbled across this site a few months ago (perhaps via this site?) but then forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. I teach Britian 1485-1529 at AS Level and will be pointing out the relevant podcasts to my students for extra Easter revision. It's really useful for A Level students to get an idea of what University History courses will look like. Thanks again for this.

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users