14 replies to this topic

#1 welshie

welshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Interested to know how fellow Humanities teachers keep on top of marking? Having just spent another Saturday indoors marking I am keen to hear any suggestions of lessoning the workload.

Am Head of Hums and have a policy of ticking and flicking and notebooks and marking assessment books (every half term) in detail.

:crazy:

#2 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Interested to know how fellow Humanities teachers keep on top of marking? Having just spent another Saturday indoors marking I am keen to hear any suggestions of lessoning the workload.

Am Head of Hums and have a policy of ticking and flicking and notebooks and marking assessment books (every half term) in detail.

Get a stamper: "verbal feedback" and try to do some in lessons with lower school, especially this time of year and get them to write the target/ comment based on what you say. Don't get them to come to your desk though, do it standing by them, it's more uncomfortable and makes you quicker.
6th form, get them to do a task that they have to do by themselves and explain that you meanwhile will do verbal feedback on their essays at the back of the room on an individual basis. Even if you don't get a whole class done then you have less to do at home.

Get them to write the comment after they have completed the essay and sometimes it cuts out a few sentences where all you then have to add is things like 'agree' etc.
I get GCSE students doing source q's to highlight the key features eg quotes, inferences, reliabilty etc to help them figure out a mark, or save me having to look for them. Often they are right, and my "Checked by your teacher" stamp comes into play. Many answers then require no comment as they have written what is wrong/right about it themselves.

Jane

#3 welshie

welshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thank you Jane, some very useful tips there! :flowers:

Get a stamper: "verbal feedback" and try to do some in lessons with lower school, especially this time of year and get them to write the target/ comment based on what you say. Don't get them to come to your desk though, do it standing by them, it's more uncomfortable and makes you quicker.
6th form, get them to do a task that they have to do by themselves and explain that you meanwhile will do verbal feedback on their essays at the back of the room on an individual basis. Even if you don't get a whole class done then you have less to do at home.

Get them to write the comment after they have completed the essay and sometimes it cuts out a few sentences where all you then have to add is things like 'agree' etc.
I get GCSE students doing source q's to highlight the key features eg quotes, inferences, reliabilty etc to help them figure out a mark, or save me having to look for them. Often they are right, and my "Checked by your teacher" stamp comes into play. Many answers then require no comment as they have written what is wrong/right about it themselves.

Jane

#4 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

This is something that I struggle with constantly, and has to be the main bugbear of the job as far I can see. I've tried a range of ideas, but will be stealing some of those wisely mentioned above. I also am currently piloting stickers which both enable students to participate in the marking (by saying exactly how they will improve) and also to stop me writing 32 times the same things. I've attached a few recent ecamples, but have loads if anyone is interested.

These are absed on 8-per page printing stickers that are currently half price in Staples.
Hope they're useful.

Neil.

Attached Files

NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#5 welshie

welshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi Neil,

I love this idea, thanks for forwarding on the stickers. Would be great to see the other examples you have-if you don't mind??

:flowers:

#6 dwiliamsmts

dwiliamsmts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

These are all great ideas but on a side note this level of marking is going to kill many of us off in this profession.

#7 welshie

welshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Agreed! :crazy:

These are all great ideas but on a side note this level of marking is going to kill many of us off in this profession.

#8 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

How to Have the Best Year of Your Life (without Setting a Single Goal)

I found this message inspiring on a number of levels, but thought it had some relevance here

Most productivity systems focus on beginning with the “end in mind” and setting goals to get there. Many are based on the assumption that in order to get what you want later, you have to give up what you want now. You work the plan, endure pain, and win.

But this is not the only path you can take.

my suggestion is to make marking and assessment flexible, to have different approaches, to be less formulaic. sometimes a sticker will suffice, other times individual, or universal instruction will be best.
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#9 LukeR

LukeR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I've always been a fan of 'deep' marking. Detailed comments every three or four weeks on a rotationary basis with individual classes. Although you are spending time making unique comments, you are cutting your marking down into bitesize chunks.

#10 Louise OG

Louise OG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

We use these arrows to mark our assessments.
Am very aware that they could be much better and more personalised but time has not been found to do so.
Kids like them though because they are the same and they can see where gaps develop and focus on them.

The marking tags have developed from this to try and lessen the burden not used yet.

Attached Files

#11 welshie

welshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi,

I looooooooove this Louise! is there any chance of getting it as a word doc?

Many thanks for sharing

Am very aware that they could be much better and more personalised but time has not been found to do so.
Kids like them though because they are the same and they can see where gaps develop and focus on them.

The marking tags have developed from this to try and lessen the burden not used yet.

#12 Stewart Hogg

Stewart Hogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

It could be converted using zamzar ?

#13 welshie

welshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hmmmm! what is that? :flowers:

#14 Louise OG

Louise OG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

Oh thank you, we find them really useful.
They are on publisher at work but will have a play

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing

#15 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing

A bit like this... via website: zamzar

Attached Files

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users