No replies to this topic

#1 debra g

debra g

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Dear all

Being in a small SEN school, this forum is absolutely fantastic because I don't feel so out on a limb. Being only 5 years into the profession also, I'm hugely grateful to everyone here who has shared their ideas, and I want to do so much more in the future.

I wonder if we could benefit from having a seminar purely on helping students with SEN access History, to share ideas, SOW's, assessments etc - I'd also be interested in how many of us there are in small SEN schools, wonder if we could all benefit from meeting up once in a while, if anyone's interested. I know some of you have contacted me in the past, but I have to admit to being woefully inadequate with correspondence over the term.

Some questions to kick us off:

What do you cover in KS3?

We cover enquiries from the Medieval Period to the Holocaust.

How do you assess in Key stage 3?

I've seen a number of excellent assessments on the board, but are not suitable for some of the students at my school. I've come up with some more creative assessments this year e.g a guidance sheet for a Medieval King based on an enquiry from the SHP book on 'Could a Medieval Kings do whatever they wanted?' but I still don't think I've got it right.

What do you find most difficult?

balancing the teaching of the subject with addressing students literacy / numeracy and other difficulties. Sometimes expectations of what they should be producing each lesson. Parent's expectations particularly tricky!

Which GCSE do you do (board and GCSE/ IGCSE) - and why?

We do Edexcel MW at the moment but am registering to change to Cambridge IGCSE, as they don't have a CA - my students have found this horrendous and very stressful. Investigating this further over the Easter.

Thanks all

Debs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users