#1 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Morning, and a Happy Easter to all,

I'm now teaching Y13 the Personal Study next year and its all frighteningly new to me. I've free reign to pick my topic etc, but I'd realy appreciate some advice before I nail my colours to the mast.

I've a term to teach the content, and then students will have a term to write up their coursework.

I'd like to do Poverty & Poor Law 1795-1930, as this would clearly cover the synopticity of 100 years, it's a topic that allows local history and I'm wondering if the topic will allow students enough range to pick sufficiently challegning and complex questions - can anyone lend me their suggestions & thoughts? There are enough individuals to explore Chadwick, Oastler etc, students could assess impacts, they could research local differences, opposition to PLAA 1834, causes of change leading up to PLAA, links to Chartism, causes of the end of the Poor Law from the 1870s, there's plenty of historiography from the Webbs to Englander and Slack et al.

Would this suffice? I'm really concerned about being forced into a topic I don't know well because it fits the Personal Study requirements or worse perhaps, picking a topic that is interesting and worthwhile but fails students in their ability to gain marks. I'd really appreciate any comments as I'm driving myself madly around in circles!!

Cheers

NeilM
NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#2 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

You need to contact the AQA A-Level History section in Manchester who will assign you a Coursework Adviser if you don't have one already. They will then give you guidance on this.

Edited by Mark H., 10 April 2012 - 12:22 PM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users