• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 956 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

I watched with interest the twitter stream coming from @titanicrealtime- especially their use of hashtags to try and get a sense of the various perspectives of different people involved in the sailing and the accident.

This follows the innovative use of Twitter by the National Archives using the cabinet papers to tweet as the UK cabinet during WW2 - @ukwarcabinet

It got me thinking

1. Does anyone know of any others?

2. I quite like the idea of setting this up as a project for yr 9. I've sent them away to think about what events they could 'live tweet', but what else would you like to see given this treatment?

#2 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

There's another WW2 one that posts things 70 years to the day of events. Will dig out the username later. WW1 100 years on would be a good one for 2014... though for your current Yr9's how about planning something for D Day?

#3 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

This follows the innovative use of Twitter by the National Archives using the cabinet papers to tweet as the UK cabinet during WW2 - @ukwarcabinet

1. Does anyone know of any others?

Agreed, the warcabinet is always interesting, although I sometimes mistake it for a current tweets

Try:
@Turniprail - interesting points about the railways
@Historyneedsyou - Sir James Pennyman and other interesting Historical discussions
@BenjFlounders - I will admit is mine, I am staring to tweet the life of my ancestor Benjamin Flounders, but I am still in the initial stages

I would add more if I had access to Twitter in school
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#4 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

The Samuel Pepys diary is excellent - @samuelpepys
NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#5 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

Some more

Charles Stuart ‏ @charlesthe1st49
WWII Stories ‏ @wwiistories
WW2History.com ‏ @WW2History - Laurence Rees
Marian's Story ‏ @MariansStory - Holocaust Survivors Memoirs
‏ @1940 Chronicle ‏ @1940Chronicle - Bringing you daily news from the Battle of Britain as it happens
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#6 LukeR

LukeR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

How about the stories and events of the Chartists? Or even the Suffragettes with the centenary coming up? Although those two would have to be more a 'long term' feed to mark the specific dates, it might be worth looking at doing!

#7 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

How about the stories and events of the Chartists? Or even the Suffragettes with the centenary coming up? Although those two would have to be more a 'long term' feed to mark the specific dates, it might be worth looking at doing!

From experience I would say this would be a huge effort, thus I personally would set it as a class task, certainly with GCSE and A level students.
in reality it is little more than a glorified timeline, the research for the plan produces a good overview of the topic, as well as asking students to highlight the most significant events, ideal for the SHP development studies.

#8 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Only marginally relevant to this thread, I appreciate, but I just received this on my twitter-feed:

Today is YomHaShoah, the Jewish day of remembrance for victims of the Holocaust #iremember

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users