6 replies to this topic

#1 vmo24

vmo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hello,

Does any one teach WJEC? I'm now in the process of thinking about controlled assessment and would like some practical advice about this - if you think you could help I'd like to set up an email conversation about controlled assessment. I have a ton of resources etc that I'm happy to share as a way of a grateful return!!

Thanks!!!

#2 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

1334847988[/url]' post='101575']
Hello,

Does any one teach WJEC? I'm now in the process of thinking about controlled assessment and would like some practical advice about this - if you think you could help I'd like to set up an email conversation about controlled assessment. I have a ton of resources etc that I'm happy to share as a way of a grateful return!!

Thanks!!!

I teach it- studying evacuation and Dunkirk this year. Email me if you want any help- allenk@asfaonline.org
Kate
www.revisehistory.com

#3 Ade Gill

Ade Gill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hi there Kate
I'm doing the same with my current GCSE YR10 group. I have always found the CA very time consuming, trying to keep the darlings focused et al! What do you actually do for the CA? I'm still a little confussed as how some people complete this part of the course. I attended the infamous Inset this year, but was still at a loss as how the majority of schools complete the CA?
For my part, we do it over a timed period of lessons and then write up in two lessons, but some students are much better at the timed part than others and as such our marks for this years cohort are vastly divergent from previous years! (this maybe due to the vast divergence of ability! lol)
Any thoughts would be very welcome
Ade
PS, have you seen the new spec for the Studies in Depth examination for next year?

#4 beth orpin

beth orpin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I also do WJEC. We do our controlled assessment in the Autumn term of Year 11, but because some of our pupils write so much, and there is no time or word limit, we have had to give up so many lunchtimes and after school sessions for them to write it up, as we could not afford to lose too much lesson time. We have done Haig and women (WWI) this year, and will do evacuation and Dunkirk next year. I have also just read the changes to the WJEC spec, so now we definitely have to teach all three parts of the syllabus for the in-depth studies, as all three areas will be examined. I must admit it will be a struggle to teach everything in time, and won't allow for any revision time in class at all.

#5 Ade Gill

Ade Gill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yeah it's going to be a struggle with cramming everything in, but hey-ho!
I have put my year 10 in for a depth exam this year and they will then sit the other next year...which will be in the new format, which is going to be a little confusing for them...they're nervous enough about this format! lol

#6 vmo24

vmo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hello,

Ade we sound like we are in similar circumstances; I attended too and left feeling non the wiser!!!!!

#7 JMEREDITH

JMEREDITH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

I teach it too. We ahve always taught all 3 elements of the units and have time for revision. Maybe we don't teach in enough depth though! We do controlled assignment at the beginning of yr 10, any thoughts on moving it? What order to you teach the course?

We do:
Controlled Assignment
Germany
Sport/Leisure
Crime and Punishment

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users