7 replies to this topic

#1 jilljam

jilljam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I am planning an observation lesson on the German reaction to the TOV. At the moment I am completely out of ideas as to how to make this inspiring! Any ideas would be greatly received.

Thanks

#2 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Source analysis to start?

Attached Thumbnails

• Clemenceau the vampire.png

#3 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Another

Attached Thumbnails

• Mother and child.png

#4 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I used to study the facts first, but then end up with a drama where the pupils held a debate in 'a political meeting', set in 1919, with some 'Germans' representing those people who hated the Treaty, and others mandated to argue like 'November Criminals' that there is no alternative if Germany is to be saved from collapse and disintegration.

(Don't set the debate (as I once suggested) in a pub, because the pupils spend all the 'debate' trying to act drunk and making silly jokes.)

#5 Simon Ross

Simon Ross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

I also start with a cartoon (Germany being measured up for the guillotine), we then do some cut and sort so probably not ideal for an observation! However I then get the students to devise questions to ask a German and their responses. We practice 'hot seating' a German in pairs before having some volunteers to be quizzed by the whole class. Bonus points are available for dodgy German accents, there are German words on the board for them to drop in, oh and the volunteers get a stick on moustache...

#6 Judy G

Judy G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Get them to imagine they are taking part in a protest against the Treaty of Versailles. Have them make protest banners and come up with chants. You could take on the role of a live reporter at the scene interviewing them about their views on the Treaty of Versailles.

#7 Leanne M

Leanne M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

Another source should you decide to start with source analysis.

Vengeance! German Nation (German newspaper article)
http://teachers.guar...~00/default.htm

#8 Sharon P

Sharon P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Have you got a copy of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Series 3? Fantastic programme in the box set about Versailles and how the Germans were treated at Versailles and their reaction.

Similarly, the 'Days that Shook the World' programmes on 'The Armistice' is fab too - my kids were hooked!
Sharon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users