Photo
- - - - -

ofsted in to watch American West Revision lesson!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ANNAHC

ANNAHC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

hi

ofsted are in next week i have all GCSE classes and we are revising american west with the Y10s and my Y11'S (Who are leaving 1st June!) i am revising medicine through time = the public health source component. Doers anyone have any excellent resources/ideas for how to deliver a revision session on the above topics demonstrating progress for ofsted?

Im not worried ofsted are coming in as we are an excellent history department with excellent teachers - however its the timing of the visit thats a pain in exam season!

Thanks everyone

Anna

#2 stephanie

stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

Have a search for some active revision ideas.... I've found blogs to be an amazing source of inspiration recently and tried an idea only this week which involved giving students a key theme at random and asking them to build a sculpture/art work representing it using only the contents of thir school bags - we photographed the results which are now in their books, that was just one idea that I found (from the fantastic John Golding -google!).
My PGCE mentor does excellent revision activities using Playmobil figures and other toys.
With my year 10s recently I taught them about learning styles, they tested themselves, we recorded the results and then they wrote individualised revision plans based on that knowledge - we finished by making a revision tool that was relevant to them (some made a podcast, some made mind maps etc etc) I know there is controversy over learning styles but I think anything that teaches students not to just sit morosely looking at a textbook and finding revision 'boring' is a good thing!!
You could also get them to perform role plays for each other? Write mini lessons for each other? Interview each other about where they feel their knowledge/skills are weakest and then produce a revision tool/plan for the person they interviewed? (they could open their own 'revision clinic' you can see why my year 10s are convinced I'm loopy?!). It doesn't matter, as long as they are laughing and engaging!
I hope you find something - do try searching for teacher's blogs, and using twitter- there are some truly inspirational teachers out there!

@_miss_moss_

#3 ANNAHC

ANNAHC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

hi thanks for your advice some food for thought there :)

#4 Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi Anna,

Personally I would focus it on exam technique to show that they are making progress in how they structure their answers. A lesson I've used before would go:

Settler Activity - something for them to do as soon as they enter the room - e.g. anagrams/true or false (with some sort of extension in case pupils are late)

Starter Activity - Read through 4 sample answers to an exam question (similar to the one they will be focusing on but on a different topic) which they rank from best to worst. They then use the best one to come up with their own success criteria for how to answer that style of question.

Introductory Task - provide the content they will be using in the lesson - might be a youtube clip

Development Task - This will encourage them to use middle order thinking or higher order thinking skills - i normally use a card sort. Some cards will be left blank for the most able to add their own points.

Consolidation Task - They will now write their answer - recently I've been trying to do this as a group task with each person taking responsibility for a paragraph and then proof reading what they have done.

Plenary - part 1: Peer Assessment - using the success criteria they came up with at the start of the lesson

Plenary - part 2: Check they have all met the L/Os and Target setting.

Not sure if it's the type of thing you're after but it's probably what i'd do.

Good luck with the Ofsted - from seeing some of the stuff you've posted on here before I'm sure you'll do really well.

Tim

Edited by Tim Johnson, 10 May 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#5 ANNAHC

ANNAHC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for those ideas i really appreciate your input - i think i will do something like what you have suggested for the Mormons with one group but the other group is ahead and have already done them so im thinking something on law and order :/ HATE american west wish it was medicine they were observing!

#6 ANNAHC

ANNAHC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

Hi

I thought id upload the Ofsted lessons I did on American West and Public Health - i was observed by ofsted and given a good with some outstanding features - hope these are of use - would be great if anyone could post some plains wars/Indians revision as that is what I am currently doing with my classes

Thanks

Anna

#7 ANNAHC

ANNAHC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:38 AM

here is the Mormons lesson

Attached Files

#8 ANNAHC

ANNAHC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

and here is the how the west was settled overview/revision lesson - does anyone have any plains wars lessons I could use? It would be much appreciated

Anna

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users