7 replies to this topic

#1 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Well, our school have decided to adopt the Full course WJEC Humanities GCSE since 2 short courses will no longer = a whole GCSE from 2014. We decided on Hums as there will be no SPAG element and it is has a controlled assessment. Does anyone have any resources such as schemes of work etc to help me prepare for this. All offers will be gratefully recieved and I will gladly pass on any materials I produce.
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#2 Sarah D

Sarah D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

We have just stopped teaching this and have loads of resources for the history, geog and re sections. Which options are you doing? PM me and i will send you loads of stuff.

#3 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

Why did you stop? We had an option of this or full course RE for all students. This way we do the RE bit at KS4, the GCSE has no SPAG so will be a little less taxing regarding literacy etc and it has CA task. What was your experience? Or anyone else's too?
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#4 Sarah D

Sarah D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

We did it in one year in year 9 and when the specification changed felt it was really pushing it to get it completed. it was always really successful though so its always at the back our minds, but at the moment doesn't really fit anywhere in the curriculum.

#5 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for the offer of resources and the comments. We are looking at two hours a week + some enhanced days to complete. By the way were those options the ones you do/did?

Edited by neil mcdonald, 18 May 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#6 KatKlunder

KatKlunder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hello! I am just bumping this thread as we are also (only a possibility of a discussion at the moment, not even been broached by the Head yet, but am doing my research in preparation!) thinking about delivering the Humanities course. We are aiming at the students at risk of not gaining 8 GCSEs and the possibilities mentioned so far have been short course RE and Citizenship. Apparently both look too difficult, especially in the short amount of time we would have to work with, and the Humanities course is more accessible?

I'm just wondering what people's experiences are of delivering the course, exam boards etc. Probably looking at 1-2 hours per week, aimed at C/D students. I have never taught it before so have had a look through the specs ont he AQA site (am with them for the History course), the range of topics looks quite engaging and varied enough to keep them interested...

#7 Matthew J

Matthew J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

I haven't taught humanities for a couple of years but when I did we needed 4 hours a week over 2 years. That was with WJEC.

#8 Tom Kidd

Tom Kidd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hi all,

Just noticed this thread; is there any possibility you could send some resources my way? The WJEC website is quite vague as to the content of the course, so if any of you have an example SoW I could take a look at I'd be really grateful. If I can help you out with any resources you might need I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users