21 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

This posting is on behalf of Michael Riley, Director of the SHP:

The SHP Conference is just seven weeks away! Last autumn, when I was putting the programme together, it looked like we’d have a clear idea about the future shape of the curriculum by July 2012. How could I have been so naive? In view of the deafening silence from Michael Gove, we’ve re-jigged some of the plenary sessions for the conference. You’re in for a treat! Here’s the line up for 6-8 July:
  • Richard McFahn and Neil Bates, Making GCSE history motivating, memorable
  • Andrew Wrenn, Growing Remembrance: Designing for the future
  • Ben Walsh Historical thinking in an information age
  • Euroclio, Can history education go beyond borders?
  • Ian Dawson, What did the Anglo-Saxons ever do for us?
  • Chris Culpin, Forty years later: What do young people need from history now?
In addition to six plenary sessions the conference contains it’s usual mix of wonderful workshops and fringe sessions. I’m flabbergasted by the talent, creativity and commitment of history teachers, and am delighted that so much of this inspiring work finds its way to Leeds each July.
I hope you can join us.
Michael

For a full conference programme go to http://www.schoolshi...rrent/index.htm

Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#2 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

I'm going this year for the first time! Very excited :)

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#3 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yay! see you there Ed, will be great to catch up again, been too long
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#4 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:08 AM

:) looking forward to it.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#5 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Looking forward to our visit as ever!!

Twitter: @apf102 @AndAllThatWeb
Web: www.andallthat.co.uk
Web: andallthatweb.wordpress.com

#6 Chris Higgins

Chris Higgins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I went to the first London SHP conference at the BL in the autumn, and was very impressed. Huge honour to finally attend a Christine Counsell lecture. Michael Wood was an extremely impressive speaker on the work he has done recently exploring local history and the links with national events. I'd love to attend the main, 'historic' SHP conference one day. It has inspired me to hold my own mini one-day conference on local history in Folkestone this summer.
“The end of all our adventuring is to find the place where we began and know it for the first time.”

#7 Sally Thorne

Sally Thorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm coming back this year! Looking forward to it, it has had a massive impact on my teaching this year.

#8 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Am booked in and have chosen my workshops too....!

Boy do I need it this year...
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#9 Steve White

Steve White

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

I am really tempted to attend, especially having just finished my PGCE and it being such a bargin to attend...feels a little bit daunting though, not knowing anybody etc!

#10 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Steve- don't worry about not knowing anybody; you'll soon make plenty of friends!

It really is the friendliest place you'll ever go to. Everyone there is supportive and we all share the same aim- to do the best we can for our pupils.

Well worth the time, money and effort, it really is the best CPD a History teacher can ever have.

Paul
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#11 David Bruce

David Bruce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi Steve,

I've just seen your comment re not knowing anyone - you will not definitely not be the alone in that sense. I am a PGCE in the same boat and I was told by one of the organisers when booking that there will be a number of trainees/nearly NQTs attending, most of whom I assume will be equally new it to it all. I'm really looking forward to all the sessions I've signed up for. Take advantage of the discount whilst you can, I'd say!

David

#12 JenniferJames

JenniferJames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Gutted that I'm not going this year guys. Myself & Emma have had to bow out so two new staff can go- please look out for Camilla & Salma from Holte and make them feel welcome!
Would've tried to pull rank but I'll be 34 weeks pregnant by then and I need so much sleep and so many toilet breaks- I'd barely make it through a session! Big love to everyone :-)

#13 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Loads of new friends to be made at SHP - plus a chance to actually get really excited about teaching history and not be looked at as if you are weird!!

Twitter: @apf102 @AndAllThatWeb
Web: www.andallthat.co.uk
Web: andallthatweb.wordpress.com

#14 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

and not be looked at as if you are weird!!

just stand next to Roy 'have you seen the size of my Harddrive' Huggins and anyone will look normal. :mrcool: :hug:
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#15 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

I am going this year for the first time in about 6 years. I am looking forward to it but I probably won't know anyone this time so may need new companions.

What do I need to know? Is it still worth getting to the book stands early to snaffle the free wine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users