Photo
- - - - -

Best KS4 Exam Board for low ability pupils?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 suesmart

suesmart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi, thinking about September and having a low ability group (Level 3 at end of KS3) - can anyone recommend an Examination Board with a syllabus/course appropriate for special needs pupils? So wish the 'old' Entry Level without controlled assessments existed!

Really would appreciate some advice. Many thanks.

Sue

#2 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think OCR have done something apropriate based on their pilot which was 100% coursework (possibly applied History?). I had a flyer a few months ago, but threw it away. No idea what the qualification was at the end though, sorry.
Jane

#3 suesmart

suesmart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi Jane, I've had a look at this course and unfortunately it is aimed more towards pre-A Level, so for much brighter kids than I have. However, I really appreciate that you took the time to respond to me. Many thanks.

Sue

#4 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

There is an entry level course for KS4 from OCR, not a pre A level one either. I think that the award is equivilent to L4 at KS3. Is there no way that they would get any kind of grade? How about the short course instead?

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#5 Louise OG

Louise OG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

We still do OCR Entry Level using their exemplar tasks and to allow students who struggle to 'drop' into the course should they struggle with the course

#6 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

We still do OCR Entry Level using their exemplar tasks and to allow students who struggle to 'drop' into the course should they struggle with the course

That's exactly what we do - though this year there was only one of them, it's still really useful for the bare minimum who won't get any grade.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#7 suesmart

suesmart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Thanks Ed and Louise....I'll have a good look at the Entry Level and short course.

Cheers for your suggestions.

Sue

#8 ewallace

ewallace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

I think ASDAN may have recently brought out a course in a similar style to the entry level certificates. Not too sure of the details but it might be worth a look.

#9 suesmart

suesmart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

Many thanks 'ewallace' - I've emailed ASDAN and they have got back to me to say they do have something which is being released this Autumn and they are forwarding me details.

Kind regards,

Sue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users