Photo

AQA Unit 1 - Med through Time - Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Elizabeth Hanwell

Elizabeth Hanwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

Although we thought the source section was fair our students struggled with surgery in particular. Our students were put off answering the question that referred to 'centuries' as they didn't pause to consider that this meant renaissance/industrial revolution and so then chose the factors question. The exam questions set are not consistent with language and this disadvantages lower ability students. Our lower students struggle to move between the name of a time period/dates/centuries - would it not hurt to stick to the same 'label' so all students can access the question being asked?

We have been committed to SHP for a long time but the we have pretty much decided that we are moving to Modern World next year. Not sure if this will help? The Medicine course has far too may variables for our lower students - individuals/time periods/factors/ theories/ ideas - it's exhausting! A shame as it's genuinely interesting.

#2 David Buttress

David Buttress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

We thought the paper was fair overall, if our students had revised properly. It gave them a chance to show what they knew in a number of ways across the three sections. It does seem to be important for this paper to equip the students to access their knowledge from different perspectives i.e time periods or factors, as in the Section B on Surgery.

#3 Elizabeth Hanwell

Elizabeth Hanwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for replying. You are probably right. Revising properly is key; and our best students will probably have done well nevertheless. We have a very large cohort of very mixed ability and the course does not cater for the least able. I hope Friday's paper is a good one. I can't stand the 'Why is X important' questions. They are nearly as annoying as the 'Are you surprised by ...' questions on the old OCR syllabus.

#4 David Buttress

David Buttress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

'Are you surprised...?' - the OCR question strikes me as a little unhistorical but probably makes everyday sense to students. The 'How important...?' is tough but valid historically. Fortunately it comes at the end of the paper and I suppose it separates out the able candidates. I like the picture sources though because they allow our weaker candidates to have a stab at questions which text sources bog them down in and they end up copying out chunks of.

#5 Chris Higgins

Chris Higgins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

I must say I thought the AQA Medicine paper was hard. Where in the core text books does it discuss the Olympic games in relation to public health? What's with the 1832 cartoon of Neptune - why not choose something a little more accessible like the Broad St pump or the Great Stink. Also students struggled with the wording of questions, e.g. use of warfare instead of war. I've had sixth formers asking about the difference before and we had students as young as Year 9 sitting this exam.
“The end of all our adventuring is to find the place where we began and know it for the first time.”

#6 Elizabeth Hanwell

Elizabeth Hanwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Glad it's not just me who thought it was tricky. The public health source on the Olympics was a weird one, I think I spent an hour covering the 'super greeks' as it's not really organised public health. I did, however, cover the 1832 source in class. I think it was the only question our students felt confident with!

At least the Germany exam was fair.

#7 Craig

Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Adding my voice to the concerns about the Greek Public Health to the 1832 cartoon. Was a tough one. But thought the rest of the paper was reasonable, we will see how it impacts on the students. Has anyone ever found any value in raising concerns like this with the exam board?
www.historystuff.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users