• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kate Morrey

Kate Morrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

I've been given the task of buying some books for this years winners of the History prize at Presentation evening. We will have two prizes for Y11 pupils and one for a Y13. Does anyone have any good suggestions of books? I want to get something worthwhile but readable and not something that will end up propping open someone's bedroom door in three months.

Open to any topic/time periods

Thanks

#2 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

http://www.independe...n=gallery&ino=9

Despite Starkey and Ferguson, a good coverage
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#3 Lou Phillips

Lou Phillips

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

I always recommend these two but Hobsbawm Age of Revolutions and Age of Extremes. If you got nice hardback ones especially.
"True generosity towards the future consists of giving everything to the present" Albert Camus

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon"

#4 Lou Phillips

Lou Phillips

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

Or A People's History of the World. Chris Harman I think?
"True generosity towards the future consists of giving everything to the present" Albert Camus

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon"

#5 Simon Ross

Simon Ross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

In these times of austerity, why not cut costs and give them one of Govey's Bibles?

#6 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I've seen ours. It's in the head's office natch, where it can do sooo much good. TO be honest - even if it fell in to the hands of a teacher or student - I'm not sure that having it leather bound and gold embossed makes it a particularly great teaching tool.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#7 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

We were shown ours in briefing by the head and asked for suggestions as to what to do with it (RE bagsied it), but the librarian gave us a swift reminder of the plethora of the different sorts of bibles that we already have that includes a copy of the bible that the queen sent out to commemorate her coronation....
Jane

#8 Louise OG

Louise OG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Saw ours today, on top of head's shelf. That's some book!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users