• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny B

Jonny B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

The World History Atlas that my father and I have been producing for TimeMaps over the last few years is now close to having all of the content complete, in terms of its first run through.

Naturally with a project like this we have come across numerous bugs along the way and we're hunting them down all the time, but in terms of civilization, nation and empire maps and text we've now got most of them in there, and have even made a brief foray into adding the next layer of information -eg. in Ancient Rome , though this area certainly needs a lot of work.

We've built some lesson plans to accompany it but these are mainly aimed at US schools as this is where the vast majority of our users are. But we do have many more planned and would love suggestions for more.. :)

This is all free by the way and it has been a huge mission to try and get just to this point (with masses of ideas and layers etc still to implement), so if anyone is interested in providing feedback or contributing in any way, we'd certainly be interested in hearing from you.

#2 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

I like this a lot.

One idea for a lesson plan for UK school would be to use the maps from 1000AD onwards for some comparisons work. Our National Curriculum is focussed on the last 1000 years, but there are lots of schools keen to introduce a more international focus for one or more unit, and this could be a very good way in.

Best of luck for your future developments!

#3 Jonny B

Jonny B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thanks very much for this constructive and encouraging response, Dave :) We're working on teachers' guidance that emphasises links and comparisons, and tries to bring out the wider context of what pupils are studying. Hopefully they'll be of some use!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users