3 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian C

Adrian C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hi there
We do Edexcel...essentially the 1960s...this should be a great topic... students look forward to it ...but oh how we all hate doing the representations section. We try and do some free form discussion of reps in general which is not too bad BUT then once we look in a more structured way to get across accuracy, completeness and objectivity/purpose...we end up losing the will to live...
we try and give them practice in our American West Unit and then have a run through with different 1960s reps as well....but then we feel like we are doing something very dull and difficult for a long time!! The joy vanishes...
Anyone got any ideas?

#2 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Also agree on the general rubbishness of the task. Actually, this is the task most of our students underachieve on. I think it is because it is so dry and they just end up resorting to 'completeness' (is that even a word?) and the reps are sooo similar it's almost impossible to select a real obvious 'best source', and often even the brightest are stumped. This year I am going to attempt to do a full mock with them (only did this peacemeal for the last 2 years due to lack of examples) and hopefully closely marking it will highlight obvious weaknesses. It'll be tight though.
Jane

#3 Dave Turner

Dave Turner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

I sent a couple of emails to edexcel about 2012-2013 CA. Have chosen the Race Relations - Notting Hill Riots for Part A for which I have put together a research booklet to trigger students' investigation. However, I wanted something vaguely connected to this for the 3rd representation to give a completely different view of the 60's - I settled on an edited article that looks at the life and work of Shelagh Delaney and the film 'A Taste of Honey'. Perhaps this is the best way in - to chose a 3rd representation that YOU are happy with. Edexcel were happy with my choice.

#4 Adrian C

Adrian C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thanks...yes I can see that an interesting 3rd rep helps...we could use the opening sequence of Austin Powers for the 1960s BUT again even with this...the actual comparing task takes the fun out of it and ties them in knots!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users