• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 J.Williams

J.Williams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have to teach a 25 minute lesson to a group of Year 9s on 'What was the most signifcant event in history?'.

I was thinking of refining it and doing 'What was the most significant World War, One or Two?'

How acceptable is it to refine the lesson brief in this way? I think that getting anything meaningful in 'What is the most significant event in history' is far too broad and can't possibly lead to the pupils learning anyhting meaningful. How can I teach them the background knowledge for say 5/6 different events throughout history and then get them to use the significance criteria etc and come to some sort of conclusion in this time.

I really like the idea of refining it down to these two events but: Will this a.) demonstrate initiative/originally? b.) get me criticised for not following the brief?

#2 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

The difficulty here could be that they have done that or something similar already.

Also you are leading the lesson along a binary path. The school could be looking for a more creative approach.

As a suggestion: Ask them to select (write on a post it) with (approximate) date. Then group them by date, to pool info and ideas to come up with something about that time that was so important.Quick challenge - poster max 10 words and one image. You don't have to teach them the info, they have to select from their own knowledge.

They could then evaluate other groups' responses to comment on how persuasive, accurate, etc - 2 stars and a wish?

If as HoD I set someone a task and they did something 'similar' but not 'as directed' I would not be that impressed - "does this person always 'do their own thing' or will they follow the lovely schemes of work I sweat blood over every 2 years, depending on government?" or worse "did the person find what I set them too hard?"
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#3 Gorbash

Gorbash

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'd throw in Christine Counsell's 5 R's as a way for them to qualify their judgements:

Is it Remarkable?
Is it Remembered?
Is it Resonant?
Is it Revealing?
Is it Resulting in Change?

Might it even be worth getting them to come up with 9 different events that they've studied whilst in KS3 (perhaps givem them a long list of events to choose from?) and then getting them to use the 5 R's as a way of doing a Diamond Nine activity?

Make sure you have a clear set of protocols for the discussion (i.e. 1 minute for person A to explain why event X is important, 1 minute for person B to argue yes/no etc and you have some sort of timer so that you can ensure that students don't 'lag') phase to help you ensure that everyone participates and is on task.

Just off the top of my head...hope it helps.
Its not who I am but what I do which defines me...

#4 vmo24

vmo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hello,

I have a scheme of work which look at 7 different significant events. I have attached it another place previously - search for skills and content arggggh and you'l find it! I would just re-attach but I dont know how to on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users