• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren Conway

Lauren Conway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

In a few weeks we have next year's Y7 coming in for a taster week, to get used to the school. They'll be attending normal lessons but obviously I really want to get them interested in History!

I only have one hour with each group and the lesson needs to provide some sort of introduction to History.

I was thinking of filling a suitcase full of items and doing a lesson on evidence, but on second thoughts I think that may be better left for when they actually arrive in September.

So I'm a bit stumped at the moment - could go down the timelines route but I'm not sure that's that interesting!!

Any ideas would be welcomed!!

#2 John Perkins

John Perkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

Roman soldier fashion show. Give them a picture of a Roman soldier and a load of sugar paper, They need to turn one of their group into a Roman soldier by the end of the session.

#3 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

have done Tollund Man and Anachronisms before - straightforward and engaging

#4 Lauren Conway

Lauren Conway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

#5 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

I was thinking of filling a suitcase full of items and doing a lesson on evidence, but on second thoughts I think that may be better left for when they actually arrive in September.

If you're looking for something to make your lesson different than I'd go with your first instinct. We use artefacts in our taster lessons for Year 6 and they get really into it. If they do something similar at the start of Year 7, no problem, see what they've remembered and if they have made any progress. After all, what's more interesting; we did this worksheet or got to look at real historical stuff. No contest.

#6 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

I was thinking of filling a suitcase full of items and doing a lesson on evidence

phone your local museum service they should have 'Handling boxes' you can use, usually at a small fee (http://www.twmuseums...loan-boxes.html)
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#7 j hewson

j hewson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Roman numerals bingo is a good one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users