7 replies to this topic

#1 Steph KJ

Steph KJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hello all,

I'm running a Holocaust workshop for new Y11 pupils of average ability over 2 days. The pupils will be creating presentations on certain aspects of the Holocaust for a display. I need something a bit special to grab their attention at the start - something to show that this isn't just like 'any old lesson'. Any ideas would be really appreciated - I've already tried to get a Holocaust speaker in, but they're all booked out.

Thank you,

Steph

#2 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

You should consider a bit of training first, as the Holocaust is a huge and complex subject, you should consider having a clear focus.

the HEDP is highly recommended http://www.hedp.org....page=Home&pid=1
and the resources are spot on : http://www.hedp.org....Resources&pid=5
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#3 Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

I would add only that, at some point in the two days, be sure to include all the groups who were victims of the Holocaust.

#4 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

I would add only that, at some point in the two days, be sure to include all the groups who were victims of the Holocaust.

Technically this does not need to be done, if the focus is on the Holocaust, then the focus is on the 'Final Solution', but if the focus is on the Genocides during the conflict, then I agree 'all the groups' of victims should be included.
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#5 Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

You would not include the holocaust against the Sinti and Roma people as part of the capitalised Holocaust?

#6 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

You would not include the holocaust against the Sinti and Roma people as part of the capitalised Holocaust?

put simply no
I would not class this as The Holocaust ; the programme to remove the Jewish people and culture from Europe.
Although there was a Genocide against the Sinti and Romani there was never a programme to remove them in totality, by including other groups one is ignoring the uniqueness of The Holocaust. I understand why other groups are looked at when studying the Nazi policies, but Steph said it was a Holocaust Workshop for Y11s, whom need to understand the more complex aspects.

#7 Iain Fullerton

Iain Fullerton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi
The IWM do a great lesson on Victims and Perpetrators of the Holocaust. The students are asked to look at various photographs and to provide their reactons to the type of person they see etc. before they find out who the person actually was. They did it by putting the photos around the room with a sheet of paper next to it for the students to write their comments down. It really gets them thinking not about a faceless 6 million but rather individual people. There are also a few that challenge stereotypes e.g. a family picture of Himmler, a photo of a rather mental looking bloke who acutally got food/money to jews living in the sewers etc. It has worked really well every time i have used it.
I have the photos/information on a PPT so if you would like it PM me.
Cheers

Iain

#8 Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Tony:

I think we shall have to agree to differ on this one.

You have clearly thought it through and arrived at your conclusion.

I believe that in restricting it to the Jews, you are being too narrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users