Jonathan Cussons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Evening All,

Mini-rant alert!!

I left my previous job due to personal circumstances in April. Since then, I have completed umpteen application forms to be a 'normal' teacher, but alas to no avail.

I have not had one interview!!

I have been a Head of Humanities, been teachign for eight years, had experience of delivering CPD to staff, so why do I not get an interview?

Because I have been 'up-there' am I now, for want of a better phrase, unemployable?

Rant over... Apologies guys :curse:

Jonathan

Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

Follow @CussonsHistory

#2 Nick

Nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Jonathan,

Keep the faith!
I suspect it may be the fact that you are more expensive to employ than an NQT and these days most schools tend to employ the cheapest person.
I suppose other places might wonder why you have stepped down or might think you won't be as easy to 'knock into shape' as an NQT.
Other than that I'm amazed that no-one has snapped you up, given your experience.

Don't get too down. Keep applying. Fate will play its hand. There is a job for you out there. :yes:

#3 Jonathan Cussons

Jonathan Cussons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Nick,

I needed to rant as I was getting frustrated!! I'm doing supply, but it's not the same thing.

I'm just gobsmacked... Whenever I interviewed, I always took the best person, not the cheapest.

Education is treading a wrong path here I think. I understand the need to be 'within budgets' blah blah blah, but teachers like myself are feeling 'left on the heap', when it is us who should be driving education forward...

I'm sure the right job will present itself... Eventually.

Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

Follow @CussonsHistory

#4 Lou Phillips

Lou Phillips

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm in exactly the same position. I'm moving back to my home town this summer. I've applied for the only 5 jobs that have come up in my area, only had one interview. No help, but just wanted you to know you're not the only one.
"True generosity towards the future consists of giving everything to the present" Albert Camus

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon"

#5 Anne Piper

Anne Piper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

I left my job as HoD 2 years ago with no job to go to. I applied for a part-time job at a local independent school and was lucky enough to be appointed. I only worked two days a week but I felt so refreshed. Had I wanted I could have gone full-time but I was fortunate to be in a position where I didn't have to. for a month I had no job and I was beginning to worry. I applied to go on supply but this would have been the last resort. I guess it depends what you apply for and how you word your application. I made it clear that I wanted to "get back to the classroom" so I could focus on what I do best; it seemed to work. Good luck to both of you.
Let no one think of me as humble or weak or passive ...

#6 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

I have completed umpteen application forms to be a 'normal' teacher, but alas to no avail.

I have not had one interview!!

I have been a Head of Humanities, been teachign for eight years, had experience of delivering CPD to staff, so why do I not get an interview?

Because I have been 'up-there' am I now, for want of a better phrase, unemployable?

Many thanks for this, I was thinking it was just me :rolleyes:
I too have been a Head of Humanities, was pushed out four years ago, I've been teaching 13 years (sorry sounded a bit like the four Yorkshiremen - "of course we had it tough . . ." etc), have organised and delivered CPD in History and ICT, in schools and for other organisations, am an experienced GCSE and A level examiner, keen to do extra curricular activities.
I've had one interview this academic year, me and four NQTs, and guess what, yes I am once again looking at having no income over the two months of the summer :ouch:
I am seriously considering leaving the profession, but whenever I mention this to colleagues, they say I have so much to offer, but it seems experienced, enthusiastic teachers are not required.
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#7 Jonathan Cussons

Jonathan Cussons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi Tony,

It does seem that the experienced teachers like ourselves are 'on the scrapheap', and I too am staring daown the barrel of no income over July/August.

What concerns me in all of this is the fact these NQTs (who I am sure a very good teachers, before any thinks I am anti-NQT) are goign to be bundled with targets and not be sure fully how to achieve them.After all, yes, they have been taught how to teach, but experienced teachers can tell (90% of the time) what the difference between a L5 and L6 work is... In the majority of cases, NQTs can't.

I don't know where this culture has stemmed from, but I, like yourself Tony, have considered leaving the profession and I'm not even 30 yet. I still have my prime years ahead of me!!

Follow @CussonsHistory

#8 Paul M

Paul M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Being cynical, this will probably be less of a problem in a few years time when after the Academies project is complete and there is no national teachers pay and conditions which schools have to adhere to. When schools are setting their own pay levels you will probably have an equal chance of getting a job whether you are an NQT or more experienced teacher because schools will pay you what they like!

#9 Jonathan Cussons

Jonathan Cussons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Paul,

I fear that this will be even worse when the Academies programme is fully rolled out. The suspension of teachers' pay and conditions added to the lack of a GTC will, I fear, lead to the rise of the instructors on GTP.

Not something I am against per se, but experience is still needed - and Academies will still take this option as it will still be cheaper under the Academies pay structure.

On a similar vein to my previous post - what happened to 'the best person for the job'? I expect 90% of SLT/Headteachers cannot honestly say they have employed the best person for the job.

Still... Onwards and upwards!!

Follow @CussonsHistory

#10 Chouan

Chouan

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'm in a similar position. I've already resigned, because I want to be in my native North East. I applied for a post that a member of our forum brought to our attention, but I didn't even get an acknowledgement, never mind an interview. 13 years teaching, 10 years as Head of Department, and I find it hard to even get an interview!
My old post was advertised this week; they've decided that a Head of History isn't necessary, so bear in mind, if you go for the job, that the department will be managed by a non-Historian, and that of the two remaining historians in the department, one is looking for a post elsewhere and the other is looking forward to retirement next year. If you want any other information, please send me a personal note.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users