• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darryl.t

darryl.t

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

I know there have been several threads on this in the past but I can't seem to find quite what I want, so i hope you will excuse me for starting a new one!

I am looking for general resources on conspiracy theories - preferably worksheets as none of the textbooks we have contain what I need. However if you are able to recommend any textbooks that have lessons on the subjects below that would be great too!

Mostly i'm looking for resources on the following:
  • The Moon landing 'hoax' (lots online, but nothing in a ready made format - wanted to check if anything is available before i spend hours doing it myself!)
  • Kennedy assassination

Or any others? I'm really looking for nice source based activities without a clearly defined 'right' answer!

I'm thinking of developing some others over the summer - possibly one on some of the legends of the first world war such as the 'Angel of Mons' and the myths of the crucified soldier etc..
Researching Harold Wood Great War Memorial Hall
http://www.12rf.co.uk (very under construction!)

#2 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

There is a 'Mythbusters' episode on the Moon Landing Hoax, which gets occasional re-runs on digital TV channels like 'Discovery' and 'Quest' . I finally tracked down a copy courtesy of another poster on this forum. Personally, I find the 'wow, that's really awesome, dude' presentation style extremely irritating but they cover some of the main aspects of the myth, such as the supposedly faked photographs, waving flag etc. James Hayward 'Myths and Legends of the First World War' is a good book on Great War legends; he wrote a similar one on the Second World War. 'Voodoo Histories' by David Aarranovitch is a book about various conspiracy theories by a 'Times' journalist but I found it a disappointingly thin 'potboiler'.

Edited by Mark H., 04 July 2012 - 08:34 PM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#3 kblaza

kblaza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

What year and ability group is it? You could perhaps do something on Holocaust Denial and the David Irving trial to show that we have to be wary even of professional historians' conclusions. The fact that his research was described as 'unparalleled' by peer reviewers and it took a court case to expose his work as a fraud and his links with anti-Semite groups could make a very interesting lesson.

#4 Tom Morton

Tom Morton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:01 AM

Was the crucified soldier a myth? Here are sources to explore this question from the 2006 Begbie Contest: http://www.begbiecon...org/control.htm. Scroll down to section 3.

#5 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

There is a fairly detailed demolition of the Crucified Canadian story in Hayward (op. cit. pp 101-111). It has also been addressed in various threads on the excellent internet 'Great War Forum' over the years.The story was not confined to the Canadian forces. I came across it in a letter written shortly after the German flamethrower attack at Hooge in July 1915 by an old boy of my school. It had supposedly happened to a British officer captured during that engagement.

Edited by Mark H., 05 July 2012 - 05:43 AM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#6 Jeremy H

Jeremy H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Aaron Wilkes' book "Technology, War and Identities" has a good 4 page spread on the Moon Landing.

Edited by Jeremy H, 05 July 2012 - 03:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users