3 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jones-Nerzic

Richard Jones-Nerzic

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Just produced a web version of my TOK chapter in the new OUP IB Skills and Practice Book.
http://www.internati...t/tok/index.htm

The rest of book by Keely Rogers and Jo Thomas is excellent by the way and the best single volume yet produced for IB history students,

Edited by Richard Jones-Nerzic, 09 July 2012 - 06:04 PM.

All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

European School Brussels III
International School History

#2 Laurence Hicks

Laurence Hicks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thanks, Richard, but I'd suggest the book is excellent for teachers but not, alas, for students - with the notable exception of Section 7!
"What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?"

#3 Richard Jones-Nerzic

Richard Jones-Nerzic

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Funny you should say that, I saw it the other way around. With the TOK chapter I had one eye on the history teacher asked to do 3-4 TOK sessions of history TOK. From my experience, most history teachers rarely step out of the common-sense, empiricist tradition after they 'do' Carr versus Elton in the first few weeks at university. I wanted to give them, as much as the students, something to think about.

The other six chapters seem full of useful, practical advice on surviving IB history without being limited to specific course content. I was initially involved as a reviewer of the book and found myself nodding along saying 'yep I tell the students that' and 'good to have that advice in black and white'. Maybe I've misjudged it, after all I am not currently teaching IB History.

Surely it must be the place to begin if you're a teacher new to the IB though?
All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

European School Brussels III
International School History

#4 Laurence Hicks

Laurence Hicks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

The book is certainly the place to start for new teachers because it provides an excellent outline of how to teach the course, and it would've saved me a great deal of time and effort had it been published a few years ago! But for those of us who, to a greater or lesser extent, already follow the practical and sensible advice contained in the History section, then I don't see how it can be of much value to our students - except the ones who rarely turn up to class! I'm sorry to be a bit negative about this because IB History is a veritable old minefield and students need a clear understanding of the skills if they are to do well, but skills need to be practised to be learned, and this is why I don't feel the book is especially helpful to them. On the other hand, new teachers in particular could learn a great deal from it.
"What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users