No replies to this topic

#1 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

I know this has been covered before somewhere and I've read this thread and this thread for inspiration, but I'd really value some new input or a point in the right direction.

I arrived at my current school as HOD in September. The curriculum had been jigged around a lot over the previous couple of years because of a doomed Humanities/Learn2Learn hybrid. I arrived to find a hastily resurrected pre-2008 KS3 curriculum, squished into 2 years, with a lot of failings. My department don't want any more change but I feel strongly that our current curriculum is not fit for purpose.

Currently we teach Romans & Medieval Realms in Year 7 and Making of the UK, Slavery & Industrial Revolution in Year 8. Then students take their options. In Year 9, students do WW1, Russian Revolution, WW2, Mock CA on the Holocaust, Black Peoples of the Americas. BUT at least half of Year 9 will not do any of this as they have not opted for it. So it means that overall we do not meet the requirements of the National Curriculum.

At KS4 we do Edexcel Modern World. SLT are keen that Year 9 should be a sort of 'foundation year' for GCSE and, as it stands, this works. However, if we put WW1,2 and holocaust into Year 8 then what will I teach in Year 9? And won't that mean the poor students spend 4 out of 5 years studying just a hundred years of history?

The school is likely to opt for academy status, and therefore I won't need to follow the National Curriculum. I am also mindful that the National Curriculum will change at some point over the next couple of years. But I think, government requirements aside, all students should be doing something about the Holocaust at least

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users