10 replies to this topic

#1 Kayleigh

Kayleigh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi folks,

I have three lessons left with year 7 this year and just wondered what kind of acitivities people did to wrap up the middle ages, or year 7 in general?

We have done the hundred years war, the war of the roses and the princes in the tower.

Any suggestions would be greatly recieved.

Thanks in advance

#2 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail and evaluate it as an interpretation of medieval life.

#3 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

You've probably already considered thinkinghistory.co.uk, but there is an overview lesson on medieval wars which might be useful.

John, I would love to see Monty Python in a classroom, but I belive it's a 15. Don't think it's worth wrecking a career over!

#4 Jim Belben

Jim Belben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

I like the activity at the end of SHP History Y7 course (on the theme of significance) which gets pupils to name some streets after events they have studied that year: Magna Carta Mews; AD43 Avenue; Empire's End Place etc etc.

@HodderHistory
www.hoddereducation.co.uk

#5 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

John, I would love to see Monty Python in a classroom, but I belive it's a 15. Don't think it's worth wrecking a career over!

Booo.

Make a newspaper called 'Medieval Times'
Choose stories to run under the following headlines:
Our Greatest King
Our Worst Ruler
Biggest War Story
Worst Scandal
Greatest Change
Biggest Disaster
Farming Update
Church News
Health Watch
Women's Page
Places to Visit
Human Interest
etc.

Or show appropriate extracts from Holy Grail and swear the children to secrecy.

#6 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Surely a little bit of Black Knight?
Posted Image

#7 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Surely a little bit of Black Knight?
Posted Image

A mere scratch!

#8 Kayleigh

Kayleigh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Wonderful ideas, thank you.

I have done the thinking history activity with them, which they loved (although I think the highlight of the year was the simulation of the battle of hastings (from thinking history again) together with my poor 'french' accent that went slightly jamaican at times, haha)

I think cherry picking some Monty Python to evaluate sounds brilliant, perhaps together with a Knights Tale?

Thanks

#9 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

II think cherry picking some Monty Python to evaluate sounds brilliant, perhaps together with a Knights Tale?

That will go down well!

#10 TheFantasticMrD

TheFantasticMrD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

We also do the Middle ages in year 7 and I thought it would be fun to finish off with a lesson on games and sports. We looked at coats of arms for some of the teachers in the depatment (a quick google image search for their names brought up a nice selection) and then they each had to design their own coat of arms, thinking about their name, and colours. We had some really good ideas including crosses for 'Deacon' and 'Churcher', a big Scots flag for 'Murray' and some bales of crops for 'Read'.

Once they had made their coats of arms, we used them on the board as a leaders board, and played some Medieval competitions. We did a lap of the hall on horseback (or was actually the case, a space hopper that my friends bought me for my birthday), and archery with a bow and arrow bought at Arundel castle. Next year I plan to include wheely chair jousting (with plumbers insulating foam piping inplace of a lance).

Its not particularly accademic, but the kids loved it, and it was a nice way to conclude the topic.

#11 Chouan

Chouan

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

I'd second Holy Grail, Apparently the Knights who say Ni was Elvis Presley's favourite film scene......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users