2 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Spring

Matt Spring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hi all,

A colleague of mine is doing an English MA, looking at how realistically novels portray the experiences of immigrants to Britain from the 1940s onwards (i.e., working conditions, living conditions, racism, interactions with the indiginous population, tensions within the immigrant communities, etc. etc. etc.). If I've understood him rightly, he's principally (if not exclusively) looking at the experiemces of Caribbean and Asian immigrants.

Inevitably there's a historical element to his investigation, in that he needs to have a good idea of the historical context. He's therefore asked me for any recommendations for good social history studies of the experiences of these immigrants. He doesn't want anything too hardcore; as a non-historian, whatever works he used would have to be the kid that would be fairly accessible to the general reader. Also, to help him draw sensible comparisons with the novels he's using, he would I imagine prefer analytical, thematic surveys to autobiographies or personal memoirs.

Has anyone any good recommendations?

Many thanks!
Matt

#2 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

A good general introduction is Robert Winder's Bloody Foreigners.

#3 Matt Spring

Matt Spring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Thanks, David - I'll pass that on.

Are there any more recommendations from anyone that I can pass on to my colleague?

Cheers,
Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users