• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scowey

scowey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

We are changing our Yr9 courses and are starting a short topic on Suffragettes. Does anyone have any SOW or resources or textbooks to reccommend?
thanks
Sally

#2 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

We have a unit on the Suffragettes, find it here:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DAA916CB8AB52178!979&authkey=!AIS9MAcNt6tEIX4

Twitter: @apf102 @AndAllThatWeb
Web: www.andallthat.co.uk
Web: andallthatweb.wordpress.com

#3 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Don't just do the Suffragettes-many historians consider the Suffragists (the NUWSS) to have been more important in gaining the vote for women. In fact there is an ongoing debate as to whether the Suffragette campaign actually hampered the cause of women's suffrage.

Edited by Mark H., 26 July 2012 - 09:56 AM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#4 scowey

scowey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the help - the SOW etc looks great. I also like the suggestion to look at the idea that 'deeds not words' might not have worked. Plenty to get going on ready for new year.

#5 Ms Ali

Ms Ali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the help - the SOW etc looks great. I also like the suggestion to look at the idea that 'deeds not words' might not have worked. Plenty to get going on ready for new year.

Danny Boyle seemed to think the NUWSS slogan was 'Deeds not Words' ... although apparently there was a couple of Pankhurst descendants amongst the participants, who should have known better ...

#6 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

Yes-I was interested by that. In fact all of the re-enactors I saw in the ceremony were identified as NUWSS, although I seem to recall that there was quite a bit of joint membership of the organisations at least in the early stages of the WSPU's existence. The interview with the Pankhurst relatives, in costume, before the ceremony duly repeated the standard line that 'Mrs Pankhurst won the vote for women'.

Edited by Mark H., 28 July 2012 - 06:43 AM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#7 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

Agreed Mark, the issue of the Suffragettes is an interesting debate. The unit asks kids to explore how far the Suffragettes helped the movement. Sadly this year (and for the first time) I had a majority who felt that it was the war work which "earned" women the right to vote.... shocking really

Twitter: @apf102 @AndAllThatWeb
Web: www.andallthat.co.uk
Web: andallthatweb.wordpress.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KS3, teaching resources

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users