Photo
- - - - -

Teaching pupils working at "P" levels - advice please!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Meg1

Meg1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a little bit of advice!

This year I taught a Year 7 class with 4 pupils working at "P" levels, I will be taking this class into Year 8 also.

This year I have differentiated as much as humanly possible tending to base the work they complete around a picture, which the whole class usually starts with also. I would like some suggestions as to specific activities etc that I can try out next year so as to support the learning of these pupils. The support plans I have for them from my school do not mention activities which support them in lessons except to mention using "cloze" activities.

We are covering the Tudors (including the Armada), the English Civil War, the Industrial Revolution and Slavery.

Any advice or suggestions would be hugely appreciated, so I can plan over the next few weeks some activities and save myself some time in September!

Thanks,

Megan

#2 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

I had ap level sow written for me by a special school liaison that covered industry and civil war. It will be at school though and I am not in until aug 24 I can loo it out then so long as it is not the one our last student (who put me off students for ever)made of with. If it is I definitely have one for an introductory unit that can give you some ideas of the level of activity. It was a lot of picture work with labels etc an a lot of reinforcement of key words with visual images.
Hope that may be some use sorry it can't be any quicker
Hollys

#3 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

We have a student who will be going into year 9 and is hovering somewhere between P levels and level 1. We have done a lot of repetition work such as ordering the Tudor/Stuart monarchs and matching them up with their children. Also lots of picking the right word to fill the space/picture. We found it best to stick with the story element of the lesson, as often it was impossible to differentiate what the rest of the class was doing (ie interpretations), it just has to be something different. We also tried a small unit on chronology with the student's family tree to try to get the concepts going there, but it depends on the needs of your student. Our TA last year was FANTASTIC and followed the work up in withdrawal' lessons.If possible get the TA to help as they really should be the expert, if you have one.
Jane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users