• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 08:58 AM

Ian Dawson's activity on Saturday evening included all 130(ish) people in the room participating in one of his active learning sessions. The focus, I think, it got a little hijacked by poor humour and taste at time, was on looking at ways of determining significance and having strong visual methods of instilling this understanding into students.

Split a class into 5 groups. These groups will be: Romans, Normans, The Black Death, Cromwell and the roundheads and the Industrial Revolution.

Each group was given a range of topics, for example: Language, Medicine, Religion etc. The group had to sort themselves into a ranking order with the criteria being 'most change' at one end and continuity at the other. Across one part of the hall we then had to assemble the group in order to show the significance of the change, so if all of the changes are very significant there'll be loads of people crammed up against the wall with 'Change' written on it.

4 extremely biased judges then assessed the order of merit that each group had chosen and asked questions about why different categories of change had been given such significance. Each team had the chance to put forward it's case for ebing the most significant era in British History at this point. Scores were given out of 5 by each judge based on this.

The second part was to then look at whether the changes were significant for all sectors of society. This was briefly explained and then ignored as the bar had opened.

The third part wasn't ignored. each group could make a final plea to the judges, with the criteria being really the comedy value of the speech. With students 'fun facts' could replace this - the teachers version included a long speech about orgies, brothels and other such things.

Seems like quite a good way of showing students how to compare the significance of different events, though it would need a bit of tweeking to wrk with 30 rather than 130.

Incidentally, the winning era or event - ie the one that has had the biggest impact on Britain was judged to be the Black Death.

#2 Guest_andy_walker_*

Guest_andy_walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2003 - 12:04 PM

I agree Dan but it did impinge somewhat on valuable drinking time :mrcool:

#3 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 02:17 PM

Unfortunatley I got a message on my mobile and had to skip out...seemed quite good though.
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users