Photo
- - - - -

AQA B Controlled Assessment Britain at War (War in the Air)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Heslop

Simon Heslop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Has anyone started looking at the AQA question 2 for Britain at War yet?

‘The War in the Air in both World Wars had the same main aim: to destroy the morale of the civilian populations.’

How far do the sources you have used support this interpretation of the War in the Air in the two World Wars?

I found the collective knowledge and experience here useful when gathering sources for last year's 'war at sea' assessment.  Has anyone got any recommendations for this one? 

#2 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

We're just about to start the first assignment but I will collate the sources for the air war question over the Summer. My initial thoughts include using an extract from 'Bomber Command' by Max Hastings, an extract from 'The World at War' episode 'Whirlwind' (e.g. Harris's rather chilling filmed address where he says 'they have sown the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind') and local material on a Zeppelin raid in 1916 and the Manchester Blitz in 1940-1. This will include a remarkable Co-Op Films documentary 'Manchester Can Take it Too' which was eventually not shown as, although the commentary is designed to be uplifting and stoical, it was feared that the scenes of bombed-out central Manchester would be injurious to civilian morale. I have this on an old video compilation produced for schools by the Northwest Film archive.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#3 David_Blanchard

David_Blanchard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

We are about to start this topic after half term. Second World War sources are much easier to come by than the ones on air war in the Great War. I think the only difference with the Second World War sources mentioned above is a source on Hitlers terror weapons with the emphasis on destroying morale.

We have set the utility question this week. I would be interested to know which sources people have used.

#4 ChrisHarbron

ChrisHarbron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

We are doing the Britain at War option so here's our choice of sources if it's of any use to anyone.

Chris

Attached Files

#5 David_Blanchard

David_Blanchard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Chris for posting these sources.

Regards

David

#6 Simon Heslop

Simon Heslop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for posting those resources Chris.  Much appreciated.

#7 David_Blanchard

David_Blanchard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Recommended Videos

Bomber Boys- BBC Ewen McGrgregor

Battlefields Bomber- BBC Richard Holmes

Timewatch- Bombing Germany

World War One in Colour - Blood in the Air

All can be found on YouTube