16 replies to this topic

#1 ignoramous

ignoramous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:18 PM

I have been taking some time to remedy some subject knowledge gaps (sigh, commendable I know!).

I have managed to get approx 30 images onto slides in a PPt and am at a loss as to what to do next.

Has anybody taught any lessons on the iconography used in portraits of Elizabeth?

If so, what type of questions should I be looking to use in order to really stretch pupils?

I have seen a couple of good ideas already on the forum that I will be using for extension work, such as speach bubbles etc....

Thanks

Ian :withstupid:

'May the hair on your toes never grow less'.

#2 Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:22 PM

One of my very favourite topics.

Try some of these threads for ideas:

Discussion on the Rainbow Portrait.

Portraits of Elizabeth I at Open Evening (me again!)

Useful paintings at Key Stage 3.

In addition if you contact me via e-mail I will send you all the resources and links for my lesson on The Rainbow Portrait as well as some other portraits.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

#3 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:29 PM

Have you read this thread about using the Elizabeth I Rainbow portrait?

and have you seen Stephen Drew's Lesson Plans and resources for his Year 8 '"Images of an age: what can we learn from portraits 1500 - 1750"?

You should find all this very helpful.

I could say more but most of my experience on teaching Elizabeth and iconography relates to A Level. The questions you ask do rather depend on the level you are working at, but if you want to stretch the more able at KS3 get them to explore the political context in rather more detail than would be usual at this stage -don't just focus on 'What does this bit of the picture mean? (eg 'rainbow' = peace)

Do say if you want more help.

Edited to say that I must have been tracking down the references at the same time as Stephen. Sorry for the duplication.

Edited by Carole Faithorn, 23 July 2003 - 06:38 PM.

#4 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:57 PM

The National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside do an Art Chart Poster and Information Collection set.

It has a large A2 poster of Elizabeth I and an accompanying booklet detailing the iconography in the portrait for teachers. It also has similar for the Henry VIII Holbein portrait!

I am about to re-order this collection as ours were ripped during the packing last week!

Their contact details are:

Tel. no: 0151 478 4178 - the chart pack is ARTCHARTS SERIES 1

Hope this helps :teacher:

#5 alison denton

alison denton

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:50 AM

Presenting the Past 2 by Andrew Wrenn and Keith Worrall (publ. Collins) has a very good section at the back on 'Images of an age' about using portraits and film, and is excellent on portaraits of Elizabeth.
ISBN: 0 00 711461 3

#6 Richard Drew

Richard Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:00 AM

The National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside do an Art Chart Poster and Information Collection set.

It has a large A2 poster of Elizabeth I and an accompanying booklet detailing the iconography in the portrait for teachers. It also has similar for the Henry VIII Holbein portrait!

I am about to re-order this collection as ours were ripped during the packing last week!

Their contact details are:

Tel. no: 0151 478 4178 - the chart pack is ARTCHARTS SERIES 1

Hope this helps :teacher:

Nicki, can you give me an idea of the price?
user posted image

#7 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:44 AM

On a more basic level there are some very good activites in the SHP Making of the UK textbook about images of Elizabeth in which the students have to match the captions to the images and then discuss the different interpretations of Elizabeth. I have also been to the National Portrait Gallery on a joint trip with the art dept to look at Tudor images, which I would highly recommend.
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#8 pbargery

pbargery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 04:48 PM

Just got back from the Elizabeth exhibition at the National Maritime Museum, really good! On sale in was a portraits pack- might be available online- think it may well have been from the National Portait Gallery. Priced 14.99 contains 6 posters and 32 page booklet

C'mon You Rs!!!!!!!

#9 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 04:59 PM

Just got back from the Elizabeth exhibition at the National Maritime Museum, really good!  On sale in was a portraits pack- might be available online- think it may well have been from the National Portait Gallery.  Priced 14.99 contains 6 posters and 32 page booklet

There are many of 'beautiful' Elizabeth-based gifts: http://www.nmm.org.uk/Index.cfm - have a look in the special exhibitions gifts section.

:huh:

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#10 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 06:14 PM

Nicki, can you give me an idea of the price?

Sure - they are 14. I have an order form which could be scanned. They do however want an accompanying letter on school note paper - difficult whilst off school!

As a student I managed to con a free set but I plan to go over during the holidays and convince them of my teacher status!

#11 Richard Drew

Richard Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:48 AM

thanks. i'll be recommending them to HOD in september
user posted image

#12 Richard Drew

Richard Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 11:33 PM

we ordered some of these posters ages ago, around the time of the thread but heard nothing back from the museum.

only just rediscovered the thread so can chase it up now with phone number and details.

anyone else had this problem?
user posted image

#13 alison denton

alison denton

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 07:33 PM

thanks for finding the thread again Richard!

Our series of lessons on Elizabeth I and protraits begins with a great lesson:

1. Read to the pupils the description of Elizabeth in 1598 where she is described as having a red wig, black teeth, a hooked nose, small eyes, narrow lips etc. They draw and colour their own portriat from this description (about 15-20 mins)

2. Now unveil the Rainbow Portrait which is from the same time (only 2 years different). They compare their portrait to the 'official' one: obviously they are quite different.

3. Rest of lesson is spent discussing their ideas about why they are so different. This brings in source evaluation in a painless, context-specific and unformulaic way. Great fun, and very motivating

These quotes are from my special needs class:

~ But we don't know if the description is true, Miss, he might not like her!
~ But she wants people to think she's nice, that's why she looks nice in the portrait
~ It wouldn't be good for her to look old in a portrait - other countries might think they could invade.

The next lesson they compare the Armada and Rainbow portraits - as in Presenting the Past.

#14 alison denton

alison denton

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 07:35 PM

Forgot to add - this class was even able to understand and explain the symbolism of the eyes and ears on her dress.
Sure proof that a special needs curriculum doesn't have to be dumbed down!

#15 D Letouzey

D Letouzey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:21 AM

Found this page on Elizabeth 's portraits :

http://www.marileeco...iz1-images.html

http://englishhistor...rchs/eliz1.html

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic