• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:11 PM

been looking for historical flags for a lesson....I found this one....can anyone do any better? I am preparing a lesson on rivalry and tensions between the Triple Entente and Triple Alliances and wanted the flags for a group work activity.

historical flags
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 06:23 PM

This looks good - especially as it covers 'historical organisms'. Despite this error it is very comprehensive.

There is one excellent map site I've come across in the past - I'll try to find it a bit later.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 06:36 PM

There is one excellent map site I've come across in the past - I'll try to find it a bit later.

Are you thinking of Historical Atlas of the C20th? It's brilliant but I can't remember if it has flags.

I do know a site that has what Ann is after, but am having trouble remembering where it is. Hang on a mo and I'll edit this post if I can track it down.

Later:

Can't find the site I seem to recall again (NB. Must remember to bookmark useful stuff in future) , but is this Flags of WWI any good?

Edited by Carole Faithorn, 24 July 2003 - 07:06 PM.

#4 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 06:52 PM

http://www.crwflags....ags/de1871.html

#5 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:27 PM

http://www.crwflags....ags/de1871.html

fantastic! From this I used homepage to check to see it my earlier finds are correct!

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/

#6 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:29 PM

That's the one I meant! It is a fantastic resource including a huge array of flags past and present. Doesn't cover organisms though. :(

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#7 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:47 PM

thanx guys:

Carole you must had read my mind because I had been looking for historical maps earlier.

and flags of WWI is a good site.

Andrew I am getting worried about you ;)

Andrew Field Posted on Jul 24 2003, 08:29 PM
  That's the one I meant! It is a fantastic resource including a huge array of flags past and present. Doesn't cover organisms though.

Basically I do a lesson on why the tensions increased between 1900-1914 - kinda an overview in two lessons.

Starter: pupils asked what factors cause wars? Pupils given cards to sort under rivalry and tension....so given the words like Empire building, naval race, revenge over lost land, colony snatching, arms race...blah, blah!

Activity: Carousel activity: Pupils grouped into 6 large groups and each group are given a separate factfile card on a specific country with info on from 1900-1914 (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Russia, Italy, France, Britain) and the pupils have 10 mins to pick out the hopes, fears, strengths, weaknesses, rivals (explaining why) and allies before the carousel moves on and they get a new country.

End of the lesson the pupils in 6 groups are given a country to represent and they must quickly present (some with dodgy accents) the hopes, fears, strengths, weaknesses...they must also point out to the class which groups are there rivals and allies explaining why they are rivals/allies.

Last year the pupils did this activity and the recall on the long term tensions was superb and it brightened up the lesson for me

OH this is my 400th post!!! and still no more stars :(

Edited by Ann, 24 July 2003 - 07:52 PM.

#8 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:59 PM

Carole you must had read my mind because I had been looking for historical maps earlier.

Great minds think alike! I just knew that's what you'd also want B) B)

Andrew I am getting worried about you

Just go back and look at the site!

OH this is my 400th post!!!

Another 100 (I think) to go for another star.

PS . Lesson sounds great :flowers:

#9 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:03 PM

Andrew I am getting worried about you Just go back and look at the site!

okay..so now everyone is going to look at the site for its

Historical flags and international organisms

99 to go...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users