52 replies to this topic

#46 BarbaraH

BarbaraH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

No I do understand that SL don't do paper 3 - clearly my expression at fault! What I meant was that students who do HL do better than students who do SL because paperr 3 is easier than paper 2 and so a lower percentage of HL students' marks come from paper 2. Does this now make sense?!

#47 mikel

mikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:57 AM

Yes, that does make sense, but the % for paper 1 is also lower and that's mind-blowingly easy! Again, it will be "all change" this year since none of us yet knows how the new paper 3 will be. There's going to be a lot less choice of essay titles, so if you get an odd one, you could be in trouble...
Mike Tribe

#48 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

Yes, that does make sense, but the % for paper 1 is also lower and that's mind-blowingly easy! Again, it will be "all change" this year since none of us yet knows how the new paper 3 will be. There's going to be a lot less choice of essay titles, so if you get an odd one, you could be in trouble...

At the course in Athens they seemed pretty confident that each of the topics would have 2 essays for each section, so the students will have a 'one or the other' choice, but as you say we did not have sample paper to look at, but did use the new markscheme to mark old questions. It seemed very similar to the last one. He also said that they could write a specific question on any of the named people/places etc that are in the HG for the section you are studying, so yes, I suppose you could come a cropper if you haven't looked at these things in detail.
jane

#49 Lisa Phillips

Lisa Phillips

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

Hi.
Teaching IB History and IB ToK in Sept. Very nervous! Any advice on a SoW or useful resources would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
Lisa. :flowers:
Lisa

#50 istewart

istewart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

:) I've just taken over as subject leader for History at Taipei European School. We follow the KS3 NC in terms of content and assessment.
We teach IGCSE, 20th century, Depth Study Germany. At Ib level our options are the Rise and rule of single party states, Causes, practices, effects of war. Paper 1 topic: International Relations. Current HL option for paper 3 is East Asia. If anyone wants to link up, that would be great.

Ps - Its my first international post and first IB school!

thanks

Ian

#51 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

Ian, I'm teaching the Qing Dynasty and Japan - sharing of resources/ideas would be great!

#52 rachaelgreen

rachaelgreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:11 AM

Hi

I'm Rachael and I'm the Head of History at the British International School, Vietnam. I've worked in IB shcools before, but I was formerly a teacher of TOK and CAS so am brand new to the History side of things.

Still very much trying to find my feet with it all, but not hating the new syllabus, though I'm not convinced of the wisdom of clumping Europe and the Middle East together for the regional study.

As a first timer always grateful to hear of suggestions for resources, teaching strategies.

#53 missjones

missjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

HI I'm trained and starting to teach IB Diploma HIstory in September 2011. I would appreciate any advice and guidance from others with experience. I want to exchange resources too ideally. I will be teaching the causes etc of war, communism crisis, single party states and HL Europe.

:woo:

Sarah Jones
Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School
Aylesbury, Bucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users