• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 07:59 PM

Having been back at school for a little while I thought that I would ask people what (if any) plans they had been making for next month's Black History Month. I will outline the plans that I have been working on at my school:

This year I have decided to change the title to Black and Asian History Month as my school is so hugely multicultural that I wanted to make the events more inclusive. Events in planning:

- A Raising Horizons seminar for years 10 and 11, with role models from the Black and Asian communities - session one will be a selected audience of Gifted and Talented and Widening Participation students discussing education, careers etc and session two will be for the whole of year 10 based on a question time panel format.
- A 'soundclash' with the boys writing lyrics based on events / individuals from Black / Asian History / culture (those of you who have seen 8 mile will get the picture). There is also a poster competition to promote the soundclash and to get into the spirit of things I wrote the following lyrics to encourage particpation:

B-boys in this school
Lyrics they write and they think they’re cool
Amateurs - let them put their money where their mouth is
Cos the time is here to show us if they’re wordsmiths
King of the Rappers will be declared

And if you are not too scared
No doubt you will take the challenge
Design a few words to show your worth

A few rules are in place
So that this can be a fair race
If you write on a decent theme
About Black and Asian esteem
No one will deny you the cream

Hear me now!
If you enter this competition
Surely you will be creating History
That is your mission. In addition you can win
One of the great prizes on offer
Right now stop wasting time
Yo! you need to get on and rhyme

- A series of music workshops for year seven provided by an Indian Drummer that I organised from Ealing LEA Music services which will also include a performance for the whole of year 7 in the afternoon.
- A poetry competition organised by the English dept
- An international food day with a competition to gain entry (approx 50 students) with food being cooked by the staff
- comedy videos (goodness gracious me, fresh prince of bel air etc) in the lunch hour
- A series of assemblies on different cultural themes (as yet unwritten) including music (one teacher has offered to sing some negro spirituals with some students)
- A dedicated display board including images of Black and Asian role models and explaining the up and coming events and competitions.

Now I realise that I am very committed to this initiative and that it has a very special place in the year for my school (hence the rather heavy workload that I am taking on), but it would be nice to think that other schools were making some effort to celebrate Black History Month. What are you doing?
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#2 Malarvilie

Malarvilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 09:19 PM

Your plans sound fantastic, Dan. Last year I also had a whole programme of events planned.

- Every assembly had either african drummers, gospel singers, key speaker from Ealing Racial Commision, poetry readings etc.
- I found a whole load of famous black scientists, mathemeticians, atheletes, composers, writers etc on the net and got EVERY dept in the school to make a display.
- In lessons: the languages dept got the kids to teach the rest of the class their mother language.
- I had showings of Glory and roots
- The canteen manager agreed to cook and sell Caribbean food at lunch times
- The art dept put images of famous black people all around the school with the words 'who am I' underneath
- Finally, I had an after school presentation - (the school were unwilling to allow a teacher with only one years experience to have an evening of events) The pupils started with the history of Black people in Britain, A section on Black scientists, A yaruba Corner (singing), African drumming, fashion show with African and Caribbean fashion, music and dance, finally ending with Martin Luther Kings speech by two very convincing year tens!

I have never been so proud in all my life.

The next day a bunch of year 9s I was teaching couldnt stop talking about it. I asked if they had learnt anything and they all spoke at once saying 'that we are all the same, whether we are black white or anything'. I almost cried as the kids talking were of a complete mutlicultural mix. I felt my work is done!!

Now that is job satisfaction. I don't think my plans will be as elaborate this year as I have started a new school as a HOD and am already snowed under with facts and figures! But I plan to make sure every child at that school knows that it is Black History Month. I hope others are also doing the same too.

There is a good section in the Modern Minds textbook on the history of Black people in Britain. it might be an idea to take time out of the curriculum and do a few lessons on that in October.

Mal
......I have the body of a weak and feeble woman
but I have the heart and stomach of a King!

#3 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 07:07 PM

I have never been so proud in all my life.

The next day a bunch of year 9s I was teaching couldnt stop talking about it.  I asked if they had learnt anything and they all spoke at once saying 'that we are all the same, whether we are black white or anything'.  I almost cried as the kids talking were of a complete mutlicultural mix.  I felt my work is done!!

Now that is job satisfaction.

I could not agree with you more. The response from my boys has always been fantastic, you can see the pride on their faces when BHM comes around and it really is such a shame that this can't happen all the time (ie integrate a more multicultural element into the everyday lessons - for those of you who missed the seminar on the topic check this - http://www.schoolhis...?showtopic=1518 ) This year I am really looking forward to a bigger cultural mix and I have been told by one boy that he is going to rap in Bengali with his friend rapping in English - it's going to be awesome.
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#4 Ruth M

Ruth M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 03:15 PM

Does anyone know of where I will find any posters on black history?

#5 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 10:56 AM

You can buy lots of Black American History posters from the Boondocks site in the USA

There are 'multicultural' posters for sale at this 'Posters.co.uk' site which includes a Black History one.

I guess you might be able to get hold of posters from any of the organisations holding events to celebrate Black History Month.

Here is the list I got when I 'googled' for 'Black History Month' +events +uk +2003
http://www.google.co...le Search&meta=
it could be worth seaching through those?

.... but I guess Dan Lyndon is our Forum expert on Black History and probably knows more.

#6 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 05:42 PM

.... but I guess Dan Lyndon is our Forum expert on Black History and probably knows more.

Well here goes..

http://lmal.org.uk/p...avigationID=161 this gives a variety of LEA work packs that were produced for BHM - Greenwich, Wandsworth, Bexley and Brent - the front pages would certainly make some nice posters.

but that is about it (not much for a supposed expert!). I tend to make my own posters and I would be more than happy to send some to you if you PM or email me (basically hit the pm / email icon underneath this posting and then send it). I tend to work with Publisher, but could copy it into Word if necessary.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#7 John Simkin

John Simkin

• Special member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 03:37 PM

My contribution to Black History month is to create a section of my encyclopaedia on Black People in Britain. I have included black people who lived in Britain for a significant period of time or played an important role in our history.

http://www.spartacus...BlackPeople.htm

So far I have included:

John Alcindor (political activist, doctor, health reformer co founder of the Pan-African Congress)

Ira Aldridge (actor)

John Archer (politician – co founder of the Pan-African Congress)

Francis Barber (friend of Samuel Johnson)

Manchererjee Bhownaggree (politician)

George Bridgetower (musician)

Learie Constantine (cricketer and politician)

William Cuffay (political activist)

Offobah Cugoano (political activist)

William Davidson (political activist)

Celestine Edwards (political activist – founder of Society for the Recognition of the Brotherhood of Man)

Olaudah Equiano (political activist)

C. L. R. James (writer and political theorist)

Tom Molineaux (champion boxer)

Harold Moody (political activist – founder of League of Coloured Peoples)

Dadabhai Naoroji (MP)

George Padmore (writer and political activist)

James Peters (rugby player – first black international)

Bill Richmond (champion boxer)

Paul Robeson (actor, singer and political activist)

Shapurji Saklatvala (political activist – first Communist MP)

Innatius Sancho (writer)

Mary Seacole (nurse and business woman)

Samuel Coleridge Taylor (composer and political activist)

Walter Tull (professional footballer and war hero)

Robert Wedderburn (political activist)

Arthur Wharton (professional footballer)

Sylvester Williams (political activist – founder of African Association)

#8 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:10 PM

This is another excellent contribution to the increasing amount of material available for people interested in supporting Black History Month. I must confess to being somewhat disappointed about the apparent lack of plans to celebrate BHM from the contributors to this forum. This, peculiarly, is in spite of the excellent contributions to the seminar that was related to this topic. Maybe people are still working on their plans and will post up their ideas a bit later.

NB John when you open up the link to your website all of the people you mention are listed under the heading 'playwright'. I was also wondering why you left out Marcus Garvey, who lived in Hammersmith for 5 years.

Edited by Dan Lyndon, 15 September 2003 - 04:18 PM.

comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#9 John Simkin

John Simkin

• Special member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:28 PM

NB John when you open up the link to your website all of the people you mention are listed under the heading 'playwright'. I was also wondering why you left out Marcus Garvey, who lived in Hammersmith for 5 years.

I forget he lived in London for 5 years. You will find his biography here.

http://www.spartacus...k/USAgarvey.htm

I will also add Claude McKay who also lived in London after the First World War.

http://www.spartacus...uk/ARTmckay.htm

I will sort out the wrong tags now.

#10 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:54 PM

[About Black History posters]

Another idea. Make your own posters using the portraits to be found from the link to John Simkin's Black People in Britain in this message http://www.schoolhis...indpost&p=17758 posted in the Black History Month 2003 thread.

Edited by Andrew Field, 16 September 2003 - 01:02 PM.

#11 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:12 PM

The October edition of the BBC History magazine has a review of two forthcoming programs which should be of interest here:

Black Flash: A century of Black British Football (BBC Four, Sunday 21st September, 8pm)

Football and Fascism (BBC Four, Tuesday 23rd September time to be confirmed)

The write up notes Arthur Wharton who was a sprinting champion and goalkeeper for Preston North End; Walter Tull who played for Tottenham Hotspur and went on to become the first Black NCO in the British Army and Jack Leslie, who apparently was overloooked by England selectors due to his skin colour.

The football and Fascism program covers the infamous Nazi salute given by the England football team, the poisoning of star Austrian player, mathias Sindelar after the Anschluss and Franco and Mussolini's use of football for their own political ends.

Pages 28/29 of the magazine list a range of events taking place throughout the country as part of the Black history month. Some of these are listed below. It also notes http://www.movinghere.org.uk which is described as exploring the last 200 years of immigration into Britain. It claims to have 15,000 digitised sources online so should be extremely useful to teachers.

A few of the listed events:

BELFAST

Slavery: Northern Ireland Cultural Centre. Mon-Fri 10am-4pm until 31 October.

BRISTOL

Lecture: New Directions in Research on Bristol and the Slave Trade. October 15th, British Empire and Commonwealth Museum.

LONDON

African Festival of arts and Culture, Bloomsbury Theatre. 5th October.

Essequibo artists, 8th October, St Pancras Library 3.30-5.30pm

Pan Africanists in England: an overview. Museum of London, 18th October. 12.30pm

Una Marston. 18th October, Museum of London. 2pm.

Britain and the Slave trade (whole day course). National Maritime Museum. 29th October. 10.30-4.30pm Admission £35 (includes lunch)

Aspects of Black history. The Old Dispensary (Romford Rd, Stratford, E15). 18th Sept to 23rd Oct.

MANCHESTER

The History of Black people in Moss Side. 23rd October. Hulme Library. Talk commences at 7pm.

The Imperialism of Improvement. Manchester Museum. 4th october. 1.30-3pm. Talk by D Tessier.

Black history trail. Peoples history Museum. Tue-Sun 11am-4.30pm No dates noted in the magazine, I guess further details can be found on http://www.peopleshistorymuseum.org.uk

KEW

Lecture: Workers, Wenches, Wives...from the cane fields to the Chamber. The national Archives, Kew, Surrey. lecture by Dr james Walvin at 7pm on 9th October. Admission £5.

There are several further entires for London in the Magazine.

Noting from Birmingham, Leicester, Bradford or many other cities with large immigrant communities...

#12 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:48 PM

Black history trail. Peoples history Museum. Tue-Sun 11am-4.30pm No dates noted in the magazine, I guess further details can be found on http://www.peopleshistorymuseum.org.uk

The web site says:

THROUGHOUT OCTOBER
Black History Month

Black History Trail
Follow a fascinating self-guided trail through the galleries and discover the major contribution that Black people have made to our history

Just to digress a little .... as a 'Mancunian' (nearly) who last lived there in the mid '60s I'm ashamed to say I knew nothing about the Peoples History Museum. I shall make a point of visiting when next I am oop North.

Not specifically for Black History Month but they do Living History sessions including:

William Cuffay (How Do You Plead?) 
Based on the true story of William Cuffay, the Black Chartist leader whose grandfather was taken from West Africa to the Caribbean as a slave. Cuffay was arrested in 1848 for speaking out for the rights of working people, and transported to Tasmania on a trumped up charge.

and

Gabrielle Walker (No Bed of Roses)
Based on the oral histories gathered from three women who migrated from the Caribbean to England in the 1950s, Gabrielle's story takes us from her childhood in St Kitts, through young womanhood in Stoke-on-Trent and Manchester, to her later years as a grandmother and prospective University Student.

both of which sound engaging if you aren't put off taking pupils out of school (see the End of Trips thread

#13 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 12:53 PM

I have found the answer! in my pigeonhole today was a flyer for 'positive images black history posters' so check out their website: http://www.multicult...o.uk/black.html

NB can we merge this with the posting about Black History Month please administrators.

Edited by Dan Lyndon, 16 September 2003 - 12:55 PM.

comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#14 John Simkin

John Simkin

• Special member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 02:56 PM

Black History Month (BHM) is held every October in Britain. The aims are to: (1) Promote knowledge of Black History and experience. (2) Disseminate information on positive Black contributions to British Society. (3) Heighten the confidence and awareness of Black people in their cultural heritage. In Britain, the BHM has now grown to over 1400 events. This website celebrate BHM all year round and is regularly updated.

http://www.black-history-month.co.uk/

#15 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for posting this site John, another excellent example to encourage people to celebrate Black History Month. I will soon be posting some of the assemblies that I have done / will do this year so that they can be shared for everyone.

Has anyone got anywhere with their plans yet?
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users