5 replies to this topic

#1 Maggie Smith

Maggie Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:16 PM

:crazy: Has anybody got any successful ideas/tactics for getting across the idea of B.C. dates .............. Year 7 Roman timeline about to be used.

#2 Alison

Alison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:40 PM

;) The old washing line across the classroom trick works well, with paper "nappies" clearly labelled with year or centuries. Here comes the sacrilegious bit - a doll suspended in the middle stands for Christ's birth.

Even the slowest groups never fail to grasp the idea of how many years between the 4BC nappy and the 2AD nappy!

:hehe: Simple ploys for simple minds
K.B.O.

#3 bemused1

bemused1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 07:31 PM

My trainee teacher used the image of a bowtie with the year 0 as the knot. The students (a lower ability group) certainly got the idea that the bigger the number the further away they were from 0. Given cards with numbers they were able to arrange themselves into the correct sequence.

#4 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 10:27 AM

I use a bit of numeracy - positive and negative numbers the kdis get that and then I replace + and - with AD and BC - seems to work well enough
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#5 Richard Drew

Richard Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 10:38 AM

teach in Wales. no romans on the KS3 curriculum here. we start c1000 AD!!!!!!!
user posted image

#6 Maggie Smith

Maggie Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 10:47 PM

:teacher: Used the bow tie idea and it worked a treat .......Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users