5 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:18 AM

:huh:

I've been alerted by my web server that someone has been attempting to hack into the SchoolHistory site in the last hour! They've attempted to gain access to the (they think) important "_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.exe" files together with form-mail scripts.

Thankfully I such intrusion has been stopped, but it's a bit worrying to know that the site is now becoming a target for such attacks.

If someone got access to the author.exe files (if they existed :D ), this could mean they could delete, edit and destroy files at will. With the form-mail scripts a hacker could redirect spam e-mail through the mail server.

:baaa:

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#2 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:53 AM

If someone got access to the author.exe files (if they existed  :D ), this could mean they could delete, edit and destroy files at will.  With the form-mail scripts a hacker could redirect spam e-mail through the mail server.

Could a hacker really do that?

Any idea why the site might being targetted in this way? Just to see if they can? Some geeky pupil of one of us?

#3 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:56 AM

A hacker could get access to the site if that file existed.

If you create your site using Frontpage and then publish it without any regard for security then a hacker could.

Whilst I don't wish to be foolhardy and appear over-confident, I avoided having that vulnerabilty.

I suspect the site has been automatically scanned for vulnerabilities rather than someone deliberately trying to get it. It was 'tested' like this four times though.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#4 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 08:58 AM

Ok - I know that this site has the creme de la creme (sp) of British History teachers on it - but why would anybody want to hack into the files?

;)

#5 Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:10 AM

Clearly Nicky your students are far too nice and create a sheltered world for themselves. ;)

Quite frankly I could go through a list unitl my fingers, thumbs, toes and ears were being used five times over and I would still not have included every one of the little charmers at my place who might do such a thing.

But I still love them all with great professional passion. :hehe:
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

#6 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 11:44 AM

I could say Stephen that I have the advantage of working in an all girls school - but then again I would have some stories that would make your jaw drop!

I will say however - that I love teaching all 17 lessons a week and I love all of my groups this year - especially my Yr. 11s.

Mind you none of my girls would have the skills or interest in hacking into this site!

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users