JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 02:05 PM

Does anybody know anything at all about either:
Peter Moss, who wrote the old history textbooks History Alive
or
George B Hamilton, who did the illustrations?

Alternatively, does anybody know, offhand, which publishing firm took over Hart Davis Educational, who published the History Alive books?

Securing information for provenances for more modern authors is a nightmare!

#2 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:26 PM

Alternatively, does anybody know, offhand, which publishing firm took over Hart Davis Educational, who published the History Alive books?

Was it Harper Collins? (based on a very vague memory :unsure: )

#3 John Simkin

John Simkin

• Special member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:10 PM

Yes it was HarperCollins. Probably in about 1984. The New History destroyed this series but members of my department insisted we did not throw the books away.

My brother once wrote a very good article about the political impact of these drawings on students. It can be found in the excellent book, Curriculum Development in Action (but I would say that woudn't I). I have a spare copy if you are interested.

Edited by John Simkin, 05 January 2004 - 06:11 PM.

#4 Guest_andy_walker_*

Guest_andy_walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:54 PM

My brother once wrote a very good article about the political impact of these drawings on students. It can be found in the excellent book, Curriculum Development in Action (but I would say that woudn't I). I have a spare copy if you are interested.

As someone who used History Alive when I first stated teaching I'd certainly be interested in reading this - or at least a precis ;)

#5 John Simkin

John Simkin

• Special member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:09 PM

As someone who used History Alive when I first stated teaching I'd certainly be interested in reading this - or at least a precis  ;)

You can have it as a late birthday present. Will you be at BETT on Friday? If not, I will give it to you on the 15th.

#6 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:23 PM

... a very good article about the political impact of these drawings on students... in the excellent book, Curriculum Development in Action... I have a spare copy if you are interested.

... I'd certainly be interested in reading this...

Me too, John! Any chance of a scanned copy by email?
Otherwise, could you give me more details of the book?
Thanks - sounds really interesting.

But I take it that still no one knows anything about Moss or Hamilton?

#7 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 12:16 AM

But I take it that still no one knows anything about Moss or Hamilton?

Regret not, John.

I have actually done a search for both of them but the only relevant links are just to copies of various History Alive books.

If the books are still for sale will that mean that Harper Collins are still paying them royalties - in which case they presumably know more. Or is that not how educational publishing works?

#8 Guest_andy_walker_*

Guest_andy_walker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:03 PM

As someone who used History Alive when I first stated teaching I'd certainly be interested in reading this - or at least a precis  ;)

You can have it as a late birthday present. Will you be at BETT on Friday? If not, I will give it to you on the 15th.

I shall be there collecting my not inconsiderable body weight in mouse mats, pens, and other assorted tat the world of ICT wishes to give away :woo: See you there!

#9 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:27 PM

If the books are still for sale will that mean that Harper Collins are still paying them royalties - in which case they presumably know more.

I think the books are well OOP. However, I have written to Collins Educational to see if they have any information.

I am not very hopeful. When I wrote recently to one publisher to ask permissions re passages from an old textbook, they were not even aware that it was one of their books, and asked me to prove it by sending a photocopy of the title page. Even with this, they were utterly unable to track down any record of it anywhere in their establishment!

#10 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 10:48 PM

I think the books are well OOP.

I can't quickly find it again now, but one of the hits I found before was definitely an online bookstore selling new copies. It did say few copies were available so I guess it was old stock?

I suppose the problem with the records is that these book publishers have been taken over umpteen times and stuff not on the current list just doesn't get 'carried forward'.

#11 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 11:21 PM

I did an author search yesterday and came up with zero.

But I came up with this today:
click here: History Alive: published in 1986 with Collins Educational

hope this helps John ;)
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#12 Elle

Elle

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 07:21 AM

I love those books! I use the pictures to illustrate any worksheets I make. My Mum (also a history teacher) has complete sets of all of them and has promised them to me when she retires next year.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

#13 John Simkin

John Simkin

• Special member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:28 AM

Peter Moss could be the same person who has written a lot about education for Routledge. If it is, I suspect Routledge will know all about him.

#14 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 11:39 AM

Isn't that Peter Moss an 'Early Years Education' man? I came across him when I was trying to find something useful for JohnD but thought it unlikely that they were one and the same. You may well be right though. :unsure:

#15 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

A Homage to Peter Moss

I was today contacted, out of the blue, by Peter Moss's grandson, who had bumped into this thread by accident!
Peter Moss is still alive and relatively well, I am sure everybody will be delighted to hear, and in his 90s!!!!

This is what I wrote in reply;

If and when you see Mr Moss, please tell him that the History Alive series was my salvation when I started teaching in the 1970s, and that it embodied an exemplar of unpatronising clarity which I have tried to emulate ever since!
At the time it was groundbreaking. Everyone raves about the impact of Unstead, but it was Peter Moss who changed History in the secondary classroom, and provided a bridge out of traditional narrative History which would eventually lead to the School History Project investigative-type History. It was its emphasis on 'telling-the-pupils-something-interesting', and its illustrations-you-used which were the critical factors.
As Mr Gove and the Tories set about moving History-teaching back-to-the-past, I found myself the other day looking closely at the series and its content before I embarked on a publishing project!
Fondly remembered.

I suspect that only the oldest amongst us will remember having used History Alive but, if you do, I am sure a comment here will be appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users