25 replies to this topic

#16 john bassett

john bassett

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Great post, sure I've got some old copies, so if want one..form a queue and pm me your details

#17 stephanie

stephanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

My dad is called Peter Moss AND he was a teacher... Not the chap you're after sadly...

@_miss_moss_

#18 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

(seeing as we've started a second, page, just so people know how the situation has developed, I've found the chap I was looking for, 8 years later!)
This is what I said earlier today:

A Homage to Peter Moss

I was today contacted, out of the blue, by Peter Moss's grandson, who had bumped into this thread by accident!
Peter Moss is still alive and relatively well, I am sure everybody will be delighted to hear, and in his 90s!!!!

This is what I wrote in reply;

If and when you see Mr Moss, please tell him that the History Alive series was my salvation when I started teaching in the 1970s, and that it embodied an exemplar of unpatronising clarity which I have tried to emulate ever since!
At the time it was groundbreaking. Everyone raves about the impact of Unstead, but it was Peter Moss who changed History in the secondary classroom, and provided a bridge out of traditional narrative History which would eventually lead to the School History Project investigative-type History. It was its emphasis on 'telling-the-pupils-something-interesting', and its illustrations-you-used which were the critical factors.
As Mr Gove and the Tories set about moving History-teaching back-to-the-past, I found myself the other day looking closely at the series and its content before I embarked on a publishing project!
Fondly remembered.

I suspect that only the oldest amongst us will remember having used History Alive but, if you do, I am sure a comment here will be appreciated.

#19 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

I always turn to History Alive for a pithy explanation that does not patronise, and for the excellent illustrations. Just finished teaching an introductory course for Russian Rulers synoptic course and used Mr Moss's brilliant section on the Revolution and his diagrams on differences between communism and capitalism.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#20 caldwell

caldwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Yes--- we used these books in the late 70's. I retained a copy, the illustrations were great and the text succinct , pertinent and perfectly pitched for the relevant age groups.

#21 Ben Walsh

Ben Walsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Much loved by me and my students, and still on my bookshelves. The illustrations were the inspiration for many of the diagrams in my own books. The rest I just pinched.

#22 Hilary Stark

Hilary Stark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I remember using this series when I started teaching in the 1970s. This thread has prompted me to go look at the 3 books from the series that I still have sitting on a bookshelf. One of the missing ones is the Tudor one (seem to recall a helter skelter or a big dipper for religion?) - which I do remember had a yellow cover. What an impression it made - especially as I moved to post 16 in the early 1980s and have remained there more or less ever since. I hope Peter Moss' grandson is keeping up to date with this thread!

#23 pennyh.

pennyh.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Brilliant books. I lost the 'Alive books' in a flood but still have History Scene-which my own kids really liked.

#24 JohnDClare

JohnDClare

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

I remember using this series when I started teaching in the 1970s. This thread has prompted me to go look at the 3 books from the series that I still have sitting on a bookshelf. One of the missing ones is the Tudor one (seem to recall a helter skelter or a big dipper for religion?) - which I do remember had a yellow cover. What an impression it made - especially as I moved to post 16 in the early 1980s and have remained there more or less ever since. I hope Peter Moss' grandson is keeping up to date with this thread!

http://www.johndclar...or_religion.htm
!!!

#25 Hilary Stark

Hilary Stark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for that John - a definite elephant never forgets moment!!!

#26 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,946 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

This is fantastic to hear that the author is still around. I *love* the History Alive books and they were an absolute inspiration - the brilliant drawings and especially the ways that complex issues are presented so cleverly mean that the books remain outstanding resources. Imagine what kind of resources Peter Moss could be creating in this age of apps and interactive tools.

Lovely to hear - thanks for the update John.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users