Photo
- - - - -

What percentage of men in 1900 could vote?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:21 PM

Had a look over the internet but cannot find an answer. Any help?

Edited by neil mcdonald, 30 January 2004 - 12:21 PM.

Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#2 Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:40 PM

"the proportion of adult males entitled to vote fluctuated usually betwen 63 and 66 per cent; the more imminent a general election the greater incentive for the parties to ensure that their supporters were on the register. However, the figures overstate the true proportion since half a million men were registered more than once: therefore, no more than six out of every ten men, at most, were parliamentary voters before 1914"

Source: Martin Pugh, "The Making of Modern Britisn Politics 1867 -1939" Blackwell, Oxford 1982 (1st edition) pp 5 -6.

(May be worth having a look at John Garrard's recent book on Democratisation)

Hope this helps Neil

Paul :D

Edited by Paul Smith, 30 January 2004 - 12:42 PM.

Cassus ubique vale

#3 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:41 PM

Failing all else you could try contacting the House of Commons Information service. They will answer questions on the History of the H of C.

The House of Commons Information Office can be contacted:

By telephone: 020 7219 4272
Callers with a text phone can call through Typetalk.
direct dial:  08001 020 7219 4272
or via a Typetalk operator:  0870 240 9598
By letter: House of Commons Information Office,
House of Commons
Westminster
London, SW1A 0AA
Fax: 020 7219 5839
By e-mail: hcinfo@parliament.uk

There's a FAQs page too but I haven't trawled through that.

#4 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:44 PM

What a joy this forum is - within a few minutes of asking a question I get two responses! Hurrah for the on-line community
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users