10 replies to this topic

#1 davew1968

davew1968

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 10:28 PM

[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=orange] :ph34r: :angry: ;) :P
OK, the history's going fine BUT I've just been looking through next year's GCSE RE course and as I'm in charge I suppose I have to make it vaguely interesting. Seeing as history teachers invariably end up teaching RE to fill up timetables do any of you have any good experiences or ideas to use in RE or do you know of a discussion forum I could look at?

#2 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 10:38 PM

what RE syllabus are you doing Dave?
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#3 Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 10:40 PM

Excellent - I love this topic. I don't want to be a RE teacher, but ......

1) To introduce the idea what Jesus is all about I stood on a chair at the front of the room with "I am your saviour sent to bring you joy, if you follow me I will bring you eternal life" written on the board. I then told the kids that I was one of those blokes who stands on a box in the centre of town on a Saturday. We then discussed if I was a nutter or telling the truth. This went on for a good 20 minutes. I then got them to write about the difference between faith and scepticism. We then did the 'religion bit' for 10 minutes and finished with a return to the opening debate.

2) To do the idea of eternal damnation and the role of God in controlling the universe I said that murderers were not responsible for their actions as God controls everything and therefore it was wrong to punish them. This led to a good hour on the nature of religion and personal responsibility. Every time they go to far off the point or show a lack of knowledge of the topic from a religious perspective, direct them to a paragraph in the relevant textbook. These short burst of reading keep the focus on the education but don't lose their focus.

3) The story of the birth of Christ. I did this by aksing them to write a 50 word explanation imagining they were God and they wanted to send someone to save the Earth. Who would they send? What powers woud they give him / her? What physical form would the saviour take. Then I read to them from the relevant gospels. We then discussed what God was doing and who Jesus is.

4) This is one I have not done, but one of the brilliant RE teachers at my last school did. Stand at the front of the room biting a nail off your finger. Spit the nail on the floor. Ask the question: is the nail dead? This can then create a debate on the whole nature of life.

5) To do evil as a concept show the trailer of 'Lord of the Rings' and then go from there.

I think that will do for now. If I think of more I will post them.

I will also find the e-mail addresses of my two RE freinds (one is an AST, and both are OUTSTANDING) and send them to you.

:rolleyes: :D
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

#4 Dafydd Humphreys

Dafydd Humphreys

Thinking outside the box...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 10:55 PM

Apart from the comatose TES forum, this is the main RE discussion forum.

REXS
There seems to be clued-up RE bods there. Although on last look they seem to have all gone to the big RE department in the sky.
My Youtube Channels: <a href="http://www.youtube.c...m/Learnhistory" target="_blank">LearnHistory</a> (RIP) :( and <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory2" target="_blank">LearnHistory2</a> and now <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory3" target="_blank">LearnHistory3</a>

#5 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 11:02 PM

I teach RE as well. I will ask the Head of RE when I get back on Tuesday to see if he has any ideas. He is pretty cool.

#6 Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 11:03 PM

That is a painful forum!

The intellectual integrity post is ... well ... well ... oh maybe I am just too thick!

And I thought of another RE idea. Put a student on the spot to justify a moral hypothesis. Only they are allowed to talk for the first ten minutes whilst the others have to listen. Only when this opening session is finised can the others chip in. The moral dilemma / hypothesis can be given to the student in question the week before to give time to prepare. The lesson can then either be discussion to develop the ideas or research and discussion based on the info in the textbooks etc.

Something wrong here though, it is gone midnight and my brain has entered hyperdrive. Clearly there must be something in my raspberry Muller Probiotic Yoghurt.

:P
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

#7 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 11:10 PM

Hi Dave

try these websites

http://www.retri.org.uk/

http://re-xs.ucsm.ac...e_websites.html (links to lots of RE sites)

v baumfield of Newcastle Uni is bringing out a thinking skills in RE book in style of P Fisher & D Leat soon.

GCSE I have used lots of films......'every sperm is sacred' (from 'Meaning of life'), film 'if these walls could talk' (for abortion), 4 weddings & funeral, lion king, any soap (good for morals or lack of them),

got year 10 interested in first few weeks of covering 'does God exist' by having a cafe session (with cookies of course) with philosophers meeting up discussing God.....Newton, Paley, Darwin, Nietzsche, Epicurus, what would they argue about?, how would they argue?

marriage, got kids performing marriage, OFSTED impressed said it was a spiritual moment....LOL

types of family: gave groups of pupils a type of family, extended, nuclear, one-parent, told them they did not get on & they acted it out....SO FUNNY!!!

given them moral dilemmas, what would you do? Abortion, are you the marrying kind?, etc?

life after death, they drew where they thought they would go or what would happen to them..INTERESTING to say the least!!!

racism & prejudice , blue eye, brown eye game (famous RE game)....separate group according to eye colour DO NOT LET ON, be nice to one group, horrible to the other, try to keep a straight face at all times...eg for horrible group give out paper & set a essay question tell them to ans straight away, other group to discuss, chilll. Then ask for answers in, them read out answers, comment on them being unsatisfactory, scrumple & bin (get good reactions) eventually kids will twig, get them to tell you why, leads into discussion on prejudice...

if you want any key stage 3 ideas just shout
ANN

:rolleyes:

#8 davew1968

davew1968

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 11:18 PM

25 past midnight. Are we going mental? I'm amazed so many people came up with so many interesting ideas in such a short space of time. Thank you all! We're doing edexcel, although I've just realised the last HOD wrote a scheme of work for a course that doesn't exist! Mostly OK but lots to sort. Don't want the NQT to have too much to do, she'll freak out!
Edexcel course is religion and life loking at christianity + muslim religion.
Cheers
bleary eyed

#9 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 11:23 PM

good textbook if kids like TEXT is by a Victor S? 'Religion and life' & if they read it & revision notes they will do well.....taught edexcel RE in NQT year & 2nd year & did really well even though I'm a historian! Good exam, easy for kids, straight forward!!! Keep it xianity & Islam, anymore is too confusing for them!!!
ANN

#10 sarah buxton

sarah buxton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 02:52 PM

the re teacher who just left my school was great for ideas. Mock marriage ceremonies with willing or unwilling!!!!! participants tends to go down well with all years. East is east good for looking at weddings, views of diffenet cultures. Or you could but not for the faint hearted use your own or another teacher wedding video......Mine got a lot of laughs in class but the GCSE students did remember a Christian service well...so whatever works.

sarah buxton.

#11 Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 05:31 PM

Click on the link below to go to a relevant thread on this forum. Could solve all your problems!

http://www.schoolhis...3305e76e81bfc89

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users