Rachel Jones

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:56 PM

OK.  Online chat now available for at least another year. :teacher:

Thank goodness for that!!

I meant to get a reply into this sooner, but due to the good old British Weather, my phone line has been down for weeks and with various other excuses, I just haven't got round to it yet. :blush:

Chat is excellent! Nothing like it for instant support from a much wider group of people than I would ever hope to get on MSN.

I can't think of enough ways of saying that Chat is brilliant so I'm afraid that will have to do. Anyone out there who's not tried it - please do so. As those who have posted before me have said, it's simply wonderful for getting ideas. I've been brought back from the brink of despair by people in Chat who've all been there in a hearbeat with ideas, suggestions and support.

Long live Chat!

R.
Que sera, sera

#17 Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:56 AM

I wish to add my chat support. Don't use it as much as I should for a couple of reasons

The block on using chat at my school...can use all other Forum facilities. This is very frustrating. I assume lots of us have the same problem.

Two sons who believe that they have the divine right over the computer! (As both are now earning I have slipped into "why should I pay for all the ink, peripherals etc etc?" mode. This is effective as is shown by my recent purchase of 30 CDr's and new ink cartridges!!!)

Go Chat Go....as I believe you young hep cats would say

:D

Edited by Paul Smith, 25 August 2004 - 07:57 AM.

Cassus ubique vale

#18 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:44 AM

The block on using chat at my school...can use all other Forum facilities.  This is very frustrating.  I assume lots of us have the same problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes - this is unfortunately true. Most schools connections automatically ban anything that could potentially be an online chat. With the arrival of broadband, some schools (like mine) also found an additional level of filtering. It wasn't filtered by our filters, but is filtered by the broadband providers.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#19 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 12:14 PM

Just to let people know, the online chat feature has been updated and upgraded. The InvisionBoard people (those behind the forum software) have changed the chat provider. However, I've stayed with the old provider who have now just released an excellent upgrade.

The online chat is much easier to use with clearer and better features. So do give it a try - follow the link at the top right of the forum. :)

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#20 Rachel Jones

Rachel Jones

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 08:19 PM

Oh wow! How swish!! Now I just need someone to be in there with so I'm not sat chatting to myself!!

Try it people!

Rachel.
Que sera, sera

#21 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:22 PM

very stylish...and so easy to use.
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#22 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

Just to update this old thread, the online chat feature is now available for yet another year!

Very pleasingly I've been able to fund the cost through money made via my http://www.contentgenerator.net website - so here is evidence that profits are being reinvested!

The idea of 'chat times' was mooted this time last year, and we'll give that a try at the beginning of September.

#23 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

Just to update this old thread, the online chat feature is now available for yet another year!

Very pleasingly I've been able to fund the cost through money made via my http://www.contentgenerator.net website - so here is evidence that profits are being reinvested!

Good to hear that you're not running off to somewhere sunny with it Andrew. :jester:

The idea of 'chat times' was mooted this time last year, and we'll give that a try at the beginning of September.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea. Let's hope more people will give Chat a try. (see further back in this thread for all the ways in which Chat can be helpful/useful/ or just plain fun.)

#24 Gidz

Gidz

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:02 PM

How about 5min/short/bitesize masterclasses?

Sources and methods
Revision strategies
Threshold
AST
Etc,....

I'm sure someone creative will have more soul-grabbing ideas.

Gidz

#25 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

Very kind of you to offer to do all these Gidz. Nice one - well beyond the call of duty.

I perceived the Online Chat as probably most suitable for informal support - e.g sharing specific requests / ideas / help with problems of the day etc. etc. but it would be great to have some specific topics too.

Perhaps your ideas might be better suited to some new seminars for the new term? We'll be in touch! There is no reason why a seminar couldn't also be linked to an online chat either.

#26 Rachel Thornhill

Rachel Thornhill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:19 AM

I like the idea of scheduled times. I've seen that people are on there before but I think the one thing I'm afraid of is 'gatecrashing' other people's conversations - I know that there are a lot of you who know each other quite well!

#27 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

Please don't be worried about 'gatecrashing' a conversation, Rachel (and that applies to everyone else too).

It's true that some of us 'know' each other quite well - either in the flesh or just as online persona - but please don't let that put you off. Just 'pop your head round the door' and say 'Hi!'.

Also if you go and 'sit' in Chat for a bit there are several of us who would always come and say hello as soon as we spotted someone there. Alternatively, you can send a quick PM to someone you can see is online inviting them to join you.

If you (or anyone else) needs any help at all with this please don't be afraid to ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users