5 replies to this topic

#1 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 09:13 PM

I have just picked up information about the BBC Motion Gallery from Pandia Search Engine News and have yet to explore in any depth.

Clearly it's a commercial venture, but they do have news footage of the American Civil Rights Movement that you can watch online without registering which looks good. Useful for those with an Internet connection and projector or interactive whiteboard? (Use the drop down menu under 'Watch a Reel')

The Pandia article says:

...... you can search the archives, watch the clips and even download them all for free. All you have to do is to register and volunteer some information about yourself and I promise it is well worth the effort.

If that's the case it's got to be worth registering. I did a quick search on the 'Vietnam War' and there seems to be loads of clips that would make eg. good lesson starters?

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 09:21 PM

The Civil Rights video is top quality too. Via broadband this could be shown 'full screen' (right click on the video, selecting 'zoom') and it is very high quality.

Excellent. We need to explore this further. :D

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Craig

Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:27 PM

The clips can also be downloaded from the site nice and quickly too, very good resource.
www.historystuff.co.uk

#4 Karen Riches

Karen Riches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:41 PM

Totally agree, it looks like an excellent resource.

Clips don't appear to have sound though (or is that just my computer?) and it seems impossible to find out how much clips cost to buy without emailing BBC every time.

They transfer into movie maker easily though :D !

#5 Craig

Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:47 PM

No its not just you (unless its a problem with my computer too which isn't unlikely), there isn't any sound which is a shame, but its still useful and who knows they may add sound later on.. :huh:
www.historystuff.co.uk

#6 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

The Civil Rights clip I watched had sound.

As far as I can figure out from the Pandia article I mentioned in my first post, http://www.pandia.co...004/33-bbc.html
the clips (which you can download) are free - so you don't have to keep on emailing the BBC. The only thing about them is that they have an ID notice/watermark on them which I guess wouldn't matter too much.

Obviously, if you wanted to use a clip in something that you were putting on a web site you'd need to pay for it.

I've now played around with the site a bit more and the search function is amazingly good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users