6 replies to this topic

#1 CD McKie

CD McKie

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:36 AM

Many moons ago I used to make use of a video on Tollund Man. Along with a suitable worksheet, the activity always went down well with year 7s. The aforementioned video has now disappeared. Does anybody out there have a copy? I'll pay the necessary postage and packing expenses if someone can unearth this classic video.
To you who call yourselves men of peace, I say: You are not safe unless you have men of action on your side.

#2 Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:30 PM

I do have a video in my office which is about Tolland Man. It may or not be the one that you want.

What exactly is your video called?

I will get the video I have copied on Thursday which is the first day our Repreographics man will be back in.

PM with your address if you want me to do this.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

#3 CD McKie

CD McKie

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:34 PM

Thanks, Stephen. I've just sent you a PM.
To you who call yourselves men of peace, I say: You are not safe unless you have men of action on your side.

#4 Robin Wichard

Robin Wichard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:32 PM

Years ago the Schools History Project (I think) used to produce a worksheet/booklet on Tollund Man which used sources to interpret the burial. As a recall it was quite good and went down well in class. I am sure that I should still have a few copies floating around if you are interested.
A page of history is worth a book of mathematics
Oliver Wendall Holmes (1809-1864)

#5 CD McKie

CD McKie

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

Thank you, Robin. I would be interested. Send me a PM and we can take it from there.

#6 mikel

mikel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:32 PM

I thought the schools council thingy on Tollund Man was excellent, and the companion stuff on Mark Pullen was even better. Used it for years with 5th Grade students... I think I might have a couple lying around as well...
Mike Tribe

#7 Ian Dawson

Ian Dawson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

If you're looking for an alternative or addition to Mark Pullen and Tollund Man we published a very similar activity last year called The Skeleton in the Fields in SHP's What is History? Year 7 book (although it could be used with Year 5, 6, 8 or whatever).

I pinched the idea from the last programme in the Blood of the Vikings series - on 1066 and stamford bridge - which is on again this week (Friday 12th i think) on UK History.

Details of the book are at

http://www.thinkingh...atishistory.htm

However all the sources are in the trb and it works well in Mark pullen mode if you give out all the sources cut up in an envelope for sorting or drip feed them in - 1 or 2 at a time.

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users