3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Higgins

Chris Higgins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:43 PM

I've recently covered the idea of the three claimants to the throne as an election hustings. The plan worked well - students were extremely engaged and their knowledge and understanding of the different contenders to the throne was very sound. Jokingly I suggested they might want to try to bribe the other voters with gifts or offers of help. They might even want to give free cakes for every person who promised their vote. Next day my desk was piled high with cup cakes and iced cakes with 'Vote William' or 'Harold for King' written in bright lettering across them. A very effective and tasty lesson plan, which I've sent to Andrew to add to the resources section if it takes his fancy, too!
“The end of all our adventuring is to find the place where we began and know it for the first time.”

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,941 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:59 PM

This turned out to be one of my most successful history lessons ever when I first tried it a few years ago. The 'hoards' of each candidate’s supporters, cheering and booing - but incredibly silent while the leaders spoke, raising to tirades of chanting and fearsome shouts when a threat or powerful point was made.

Excellent idea about the bribes too.... ;)

The resource that Chris sent is available here:
http://www.schoolhis...orksheets.shtml

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Sarah Bamford

Sarah Bamford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:40 PM

I still have the 'Vote for me I'm 'Arry G' badge on my classroom wall - the kids that made it did a whole Ali G spoof speech too - brilliant!!! We allow the students 2 lessons for this - to make their campaign literature and paraphernalia too - they love it!

Sarah

#4 Christine

Christine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:43 PM

Hi

We have our Year 7s do a rap in support of one of the claimants.
One of last years was so succesful it was performed at the Spring Festival.

It was a fun lesson watching them too.

Christine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users