Cheers Dan! :)

#47 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

It turns out it isn't just me that believes all the senses (including smells!!) have a significant value!

sensory stories
DC

#48 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Crikey - a year and I've not added any ideas here - most remiss of me!

We're about to have our next SMART week here at school: Music and Self SMART, and I'll attach any great ideas that come out of it. As a school we're running a breakfast Teach Meet (or rather a Teach Eat, with croissants and coffee for those that are enhtusiastic and come along at 8am) for our splendid staff to share their ideas from the SMART week. Its been interesting to reflect on how much our own preferred learning styles might affect our teaching styles - and how we get ourselves out of that comfort zone!

If the wonderful citizens of the School History forum add another three ideas to this thread then I'll share the training resources and the ideas that people come up with at the Teach Eat...!

Of course this does run the risk of getting no replies.............

DC
:-)

#49 DaveStacey

DaveStacey

Long-term Member

• Admin
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

I think I've nicked at least some of these from you, but here goes...

Use music to calm / energise students while they work
Get students to create their own song / rap lyrics - there's loads of karaoke versions of songs on youtube which makes performing even easier

Get students to keep a diary (perhaps in character) over the course of an inquiry
KWL grids

#50 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Dave!

Now we just need two more contributors.......

DC

#51 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks

• Admin
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Key Terms Plenary - I get students to create an online wordsearch using the key terms they suggest via teachers' direct website and they have to give me a reason why it HAS to be included. They type in the terms themselves and then they create it. This can be used as a starter next lesson.

Doing the actions - The problems that faced Germany can be identified and actions given for each problem. Political violence is easy, it's just shadow boxing and hyperinflation is just something growing to a massive size from tiny beginnings.

An A-Z of a topic. As it easy as it looks.

Going for 5 - Tell me the 5 most important things you've learned/ 5 most important points about/ 5 reasons why something happened.

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? - Deconstruct an event using only the question why to pull out the minutiae.

The geography department are asking students to create their own iphone apps/ make a list of apps they'd like to have in a particular situation such as the Japanese earthquake. History could do historic tweeting from important figures in the past.

From Carol
Get students to mark other students' work using a green pen to mark a dot in the margin on a line where there is a spelling error or a problem with grammar or punctuation. Then the work is given back to the student and they use a red pen to correct their errors.
Also there's the 2 stars and a wish review in which students mark another students' work and make two star points (positive comments) and one wish (a target for improvement)

Right Mr C you now have answers from 3 colleagues. I hope you'll keep your promise to share the goodies!

There is a light and it never goes out.
Go pray in my church!
http://www.nufc.com

#52 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

I love the actions, the WHY idea and the Apps in History idea. What apps would have been most use to... a soldier during World War I? (In a related app-esque vein, Fakebookwould would work great for a Civil War activity - a conversation between a Cav and a Roundhead!)

I'll put the resources up when we have the Teach Meet - and if people want to comment that would be great (#holmfirth2012 is the hashtag)!

I know there are other ideas knocking around out there - it would be great to have ideas from people who haven't posted much/at all before

DC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)